Forum/Blog Conventions

garao

Hi All,

I am a new member and I've been exploring Nikonites. I am somewhat of a recluse as far as my web presence is concerned, so forgive my "innocence" :confused:. I would like to verify that my observations are correct. To post photos for sharing, use the Blog. Forums are more for discussions rather than image sharing, except for the Photo Critique subject. Is that correct?

And by the way, thank you jdeg for creating Nikonites!

Thanks,
Gene

ohkphoto

Snow White
Hi, Gene
This is really a good and safe place to learn about web presence and to experiment. Most of us use the gallery for sharing photos --but that's only photos although there is a place to write comments. If you want to write about your photos, you can use the blog --which is a really a nice feature --so in essence, you can post your photos to your blog too, as part of an article. Click on the "Blogs" section at the top and you can see samples. In jdeg's words, the blog is for "article type posting"

The forums are for advice as well as image sharing. You can also post your images to other specific forum topics as appropriate, e,g, if you have a specific post processing question or problem, you could discuss and post your image under "software". If you want a critique of your image, then you would post your photo to photo critiques.

Mostly everybody is pretty forgiving about posting in the wrong place and especially understanding of newcomers.

Just jump in and share and have fun!

Best Regards

Browncoat

To post photos for sharing, use the Blog.

Hello, Gene...welcome to Nikonites. As Helene already pointed out, blogs are more like articles. You can certainly share photos in a blog post, but there should be more words than photos. A few examples:

• How I set up and took this shot (post accompanying photo).
  • How I prepare for a day of shooting a wedding.
  • This is my review of several camera bags.
  • Why I chose the Nikon D700 over the D90.
When we make a post in the general forums, it's more of an open invitation for discussion and feedback. A blog post is kind of like your own personal article being published in the paper. You're not necessarily looking for interaction with others, merely sharing your information, experience, and knowledge.

garao

Thank you, Helene and Anthony, for the replies. I'm glad I asked, as my understanding of "blog" is what you explained. I just noticed that most of the threads only had q&a content, and not many photos. And the blogs I did see had mostly photos. :D

I also noticed, after my post, that the Photo Critique section had some sticky threads, like insect shots. I added a photo there to try out inserting an image in a thread. So I guess the site is still sorting itself out and the proper sections/subjects will eventually be added/organized.

As I am very interested in getting feedback about whether my images work (a photograph) or not (a snapshot), I will post the images I need help with in the critique section.

Best Regards.