To convert or not?

HSon

I have a question regarding infared photography for any gurus out there. I have seen many photos out there and want to give a try. I own two(D90,D800E) cameras in which one(D90) is doing nothing. I was going to sell it but thought of possibly converting it for infared but I know it's costly. I know the cheaper way is to get a filter but if I not mistaken I would always need to use a tripod correct because of the exposure time. Is this correct or did I misread that somewhere? What are your thoughts? Has anybody here ever converted a camera? As for filters I have Lee ND and ND grads but I dont think their square infared is as good as Hoya or B+W. Can anybody who owns a Hoya or B+W recomend a filter based on your experience. Thanks in advance

pedroj

I have an IR720 filter bought on ebay for less then $30...With them you have to use a tripod, Exposures take a minimum of 5 secs....Here are a few I took with it..

Copy of IR 6 010 copy.jpg

IR 5 008.jpgIR4111 013.jpg

BackdoorArts

HSon, I too have a D90 that is very underused. I seriously considered converting it, but found that the D90 is listed among the cameras that can have a significant white balance issue post-conversion. The work required to correct your shots in post-processing was enough that I decided it best not to create a potential paper weight and I will either sell the D90 or leave it set up for my wife to use should she want to grab a quick shot of a bird in the yard, sunrise or something else - though previous experiments along those lines have proven frustrating for her.

HSon

HSon, I too have a D90 that is very underused. I seriously considered converting it, but found that the D90 is listed among the cameras that can have a significant white balance issue post-conversion. The work required to correct your shots in post-processing was enough that I decided it best not to create a potential paper weight and I will either sell the D90 or leave it set up for my wife to use should she want to grab a quick shot of a bird in the yard, sunrise or something else - though previous experiments along those lines have proven frustrating for her.

Thanks Jake,
I had no idea the d90 had this problem. I guess that sums it up. I will try to sell it whenever I can