New camera or just replace lens

cajun1girl

I have a Nikon D60 & a 55-200 mm lens. My auto focus is no longer working on the lens. I'm trying to decide if I want to buy a new camera and new lens or just a new lens. I've done some shopping around and really like the features on the D7000. Should I upgrade both camera and lens or just lens?

Alex66

Depends if your camera is doing all you need it to do then go for a good lens or if you think well I will have the money to buy a new camera in X months if I blow it all on this lens then do that. Question is there a lens you really fancy that costs more than or the same as a D7000, I am pretty sure the 70-210 2.8 or f4 on your camera will out shine a basic tele zoom lens on the D7000. Could always go for a better lens and a D90.

BackdoorArts

With the D7000 slated for an upgraded model in April there are deals to be had on them now, so if you like that camera now is as good a time as any to grab one - realizing, of course, that the replacement will have new features, and higher resolution (no specifics other than a 24MP sensor known so far). Depending on your budget you may be able to pick up a package with a kit lens, or just grab a new lens. I suspect that if the 55-200mm is no longer under warranty that it would cost you almost as much to replace it as it would to fix it.

Mike150

Welcome Cajungirl. I too have the D60. If I wer in your position, I'd go with the D7000 also. The in body AF would allow you to continue using your 55-200. If you shop around, you can probably find a really good deal on a body right now.

stmv

D60 go for around 200-250 without a lens, and up to 350 with a basic lens, not bad, and right now D7000 are around 896,, so your out pocket is about 650-700 for a very solid awesome camera (7000), so,, if this is within budget, you will love the 7000.

I consider the D7000 at 896 at the best Nikkor/Buck for quality, build, features, compatibility with Nikkor len currently available.

nickt

Welcome Cajungirl. I too have the D60. If I wer in your position, I'd go with the D7000 also. The in body AF would allow you to continue using your 55-200. If you shop around, you can probably find a really good deal on a body right now.
Mike, is this correct? I'm thinking no. The D60 has no focus motor and the 55-200 has its own focus motor and the focus motor is possibly dead in cajun1girl's lens. ....and I'm thinking the lens does not have the ability to make use of the d7k's internal motor. There is a hole in the lens mount but no screw head to accept drive from the camera. The lens internal motor would need to do the focusing regardless of whether or not the camera has an internal drive.

As for the d7000, I love it.