Smugmug gallery question

carguy

I've had a SmugMug Basic account for a few years now. Until recently, I've used it to upload pictures of the kids & family with each month of the year as it's own 'gallery'. I have the entire site locked via a password. Only family and a few friends have the password.

I would like to use my SmugMug site to feature other images that will be publicly viewable while still making the family pictures password protected.

1. I tried locking down individual galleries with a password, but they still appear when a 'public' visitor views my site. While they cannot access those galleries without a password, they still see that they are there.

2. If I mark the family galleries as 'unlisted' it will make it harder for some family members to navigate the page to view multiple galleries.

3. Can I make a new gallery, something like 'Family Pictures' and move all other galleries under that one and have a password on that gallery?

4. Should I setup a second SmugMug account for my public images and leave the one I have setup as it is for family?

Thanks!
Joe

Dave_W

The Dude
If you were using Zenfolio I could easily tell you where you can make a folder public or password protected (and you would be saving money, too) but with Smugmug I've no idea. Would you like me to send you a Zenfolio invitation? I think it comes with an additional discount if you're recommended by a current member...I think.

carguy

Haven't checked out zenfolio yet. Ill take a look.

I can mark a folder/gallery protected, just looking for some tips to clean things up.

Tap'n while driving

GaryA

Hey Carguy!
I may be able to help you with SmugMug.
First question I have is, why are you worried about the public seeing the locked, password protected family galleries?

GaryA.

carguy

Hey Carguy!
I may be able to help you with SmugMug.
First question I have is, why are you worried about the public seeing the locked, password protected family galleries?

GaryA.
Good Morning Gary!

SmugMug support responded to a message I sent them last week.

If you remove the site-wide password, you can have galleries that are public, public and passworded, or unlisted and passworded, and just unlisted.

Public galleries with no password would be viewable by everyone on your homepage.

Public galleries with a password would need that password to be entered before the images could be viewed inside the gallery.

Unlisted galleries will not appear on your homepage at all, viewers do need a link to the gallery to be able to access it.

*You can create a Sharegroup as a way to share multiple unlisted galleries with one single link, this way you don't have to send multiple links to multiple unlisted galleries.
SmugMug | Can I Share Multiple Unlisted Galleries ...

Unlisted and passworded galleries will not appear on your homepage, viewers do need a link, but they would also need to know the password to be able to enter and view images in the gallery.

*You can designate a password for a Sharegroup. Also, if you have the same password on multiple galleries, that password would only need to be entered once to see inside those different galleries.

So for galleries that you want family members to have access to, aside from the few public galleries, you could make them unlisted but then add them to a Sharegroup. They'd be able to see everything unlisted from the Sharegroup link.

I think the Sharegroup feature was the piece I was missing.

In response to your question, there are pictures for the public and there are pictures for family. Public pics are generic images I take, car shows, local events, landscapes, images I want to share with sites like this and other public user groups.

Private images include things like family events, birthdays, gatherings etc., Candids of my children playing at the park etc. The internet is a great place to interact and network, but also a place where innocent images can and often are misused and abused.

For now I'm using both SmugMug and Flickr accounts. I may end up keeping Smugmug for the family shots and Flickr for everything else. We'll see :cool:

GaryA

You are certainly right about protecting your family photos on the Internet. I couldn't agree more!
With my SmugMugPro account, I have galleries I want the public, (customers) to see and buy, if they want. My client galleries are under lock and key and password protected. I give a client my SmugMug website name and their individual
password. They can only view and buy their photos but not see other clients families and children.

Gary