Nikon D3 vs D700

Wickedred

I have decided to make the move to Full Frame. I am selling my Nikon D7000, DX lenses, and such to help fund this transition.
I would love to score a deal on a D3X or D4 but I am not looking to spend that much and I don't make a living doing Photography. I just enjoy shooting various pics. I am at a toss up between the D700 and D3 camera's. I have read a blue million reviews and comparisons. Being practically the same camera makes the decision even more fun, LOL. I dont mind having an on built in Flash but I love the integrated Battery grip controls on the D3.

I could go on forever comparing the two. What are some of your personal preferences?

sunwharf

I went for the D700 about a month ago from a D200. I realised I didn't need the extra battery power, fps etc that the D3 had over D700. The weight and size difference also put me off. I'm so pleased I went that route and spent the cash saved on 20-35mm f2.8 lens :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

stmv

you can always add the battery grip,, if you want the extra set of dials, I have the grip, but personally, never use it, and just like the feel of the D700 as is.

D700 is a great camera, and well, I have taken the D7000 and D700 on the same trips,, and can tell you that the D700 wins the most in the side by side shots. D7000 is no slouch, I just like for some reason the pictures I gained from the D700.

enjoy.

Sambr

Tough one - however the built in flash, sensor cleaner(D3 is a dust magnet) that's built in on the D700 small compact body which you can add the the MD-10 at anytime. I would go D700 if it was up to me.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
If fps are not the utmost important thing for you, why don't you seriously think about the D600?

It's got basically the same controls as the D7000 but the sensor is so so much better.

Sambr

All good points. I cant make my mind up. Been looking at D4's and D3X's LOL...
The D4 is awesome I am totally amazed with mine. However it's 6k you can get a D600 for one third the price and do just as much with it. With the diffrence buy good glass.

Wickedred

I typically shoot Drag Racing events. Crappy Light, Fast Moving Shots so ISO and FPS does play a role in my decision On those occasions where the weather is not ideal the Pro level cameras offer better protection. Not that I have to explain this to any of you LOL. I am looking at this transition from DX to FX as a one time and Done kinda deal. I don't want to do this but one time. If it comes down to dropping $5500 on a camera body I will not shy away from it. If at the end of the day I have $10-12k wrapped up in a camera body and glass I will have no issue with that. I am looking to cover all my bases well so that the need for an upgrade a year or two later is not needed.

Sambr

Another alternative is try to find a D3s(a D3x will disappoint you for your type of shooting) the D3s is an incredible machine I loved mine. It would suit you perfectly. Cost wise anywhere between $3200-4000.

Wickedred

I will look into that. I have been told that about the D3X. I would love a D3S due to the ISO range. Is it that much better than a D3 though?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I am selling my D3X if it is of interest. You'll find the details here in the forum. Financial crisis has forced the sale. :(

Matt, we do have a for sale/want to buy forum. But there are rules. Please read them carefully BEFORE you try to advertise your camera otherwise your posts will be deleted. This is only our way to try and protect our members.

Thanks.

Wickedred

The D3X while a nice studio camera, is out of the Hunt.
The Hunt is on for a reasonably priced Nikon D3S or D4 that is in great shape with a moderate shutter count. I know, I don't ask for much LOL.
I bet I have watched and read over 150 reviews between the D3S and D4 over this weekend. I know the Price point will come down in Favor of the D3S unless I find a Cinderella deal on a D4. How ever those are the two Models I am holding out for. Since it seems I have made my mind up I will now go on to List my D7000 and DX lenses up for sale. The search is on.

Snap Happy

This site is very well moderated... Jdeg is very fast to get to the spam. LOL Marcel is right. We do need to put all the members first.

STM

If you like the built in grip of the D3, you could still go with a D700 and get the optional MB-D10 and still be in the black compared to what a D3 costs. I have it and, being used to bigger film cameras like the F2 and F4S, am much more comfortable with how it feels with it. The two cameras share the same sensor so for the most part the image quality is the same. The D3 does have better high ISO performance than the D700. For the difference you would spend between equal condition D700 and D3's you could probably get another lens.

daredevil123

Just a note for those concerned about weight. The D700 with grip is actually heavier than a D3. From a pool of my friends using D3, their cameras are suffering from unreliability of the AF module as the camera gets older (problems seems to start at the 3 year mark).