can you change autofocus mode when you don't have a lens attached?

Hyogen

I"m waiting for delivery of my first lens and I can't seem to change AF modes or change # of points.

Hope this is normal...!

BackdoorArts

Connection to a lens is required for this. The camera will sense whether or not the attached lens has AF capabilities first, and then let you adjust as appropriate. The only thing you can adjust now is the AF/M lever on the left side of the lens mount.

Hyogen

whew, thank you! I shouldn't have created a new thread for this single question, but I was getting nervous.

Canon body + 6 lenses sold in less than 5 days all for prices I was hoping for :D Now waiting for delivery of my first 50mm 1.8 D lens.....and trying to decide between 85mm 1.8D or Sigma 105mm 2.8 macro..........I really want as much bokeh as possible for portraits. I can't figure out for the exact same framing (filling the frame the same way) if the 85mm 1.8 or the 105 2.8 has shallower DOF.

Online Depth of Field Calculator My guess is that the 85mm 1.8 still has a shallower DOF.

Last edited:

BackdoorArts

If you are looking for awesome bokeh I cannot recommend the G-series f1.8 lenses enough. I have the 28, 50 and 85mm and they are all brilliantly sharp. For the modest difference in price ($40 on Amazon) I believe you're getting a better lens for your D600.

Here's a side-by-side I found comparing the two 85mm's, G lens on the left, D on the right.

7182677842_8e58231381_o.jpg

Hyogen

If you are looking for awesome bokeh I cannot recommend the G-series f1.8 lenses enough. I have the 28, 50 and 85mm and they are all brilliantly sharp. For the modest difference in price ($40 on Amazon) I believe you're getting a better lens for your D600.

Here's a side-by-side I found comparing the two 85mm's, G lens on the left, D on the right.

Have you given any thought to the 105 f/2 DC or the 135mm f/2 DC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thanks. I definitely see the smoother, less distracting bokeh, on the G version. Is it the same for the 50mm also? Alas, for now I ended up going with the 50mm and 85mm 1.8...both of which I thought were the D version, but turns out they're not. Essentially the same lens, but apparently not as good metering when used with flash..

I have definitely thought about the 135 2.0 DC as the Canon 135 f2L was my dream lens before (only $720 used or so). However, it's way out of my price range at the moment. There's an older MF 135mm f2.8 on CL right now for $80...

I've posted my first pics with the D600 + 85mm 1.8 (non-D). I am super pleased and immediately see a huge difference in quality of colors/dynamic range--not to mention sharpness and less noise... everything that I wanted...! my first shots with a full frame!!! - a set on Flickr

Hyogen

The 135 2.0 dc is too much out of my price range at the moment

i ended up getting the nonD versions of the 50 and 85mm 1.8