D800 lens options

Belo

I recently went from a D7000 to a D600 and now the D800 due to some issues with the 600. I am loving the 800 and need to look at my glass options now.

I currently have (all Nikkor) 50mm f/1.4, 105mm f/2.8, 24-120mm f/4 and 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6.

I do mostly family, portrait, sports, landscape and macro.

My first logical choice would be to look at a 70-200 f/2.8, I am not sure how the Sigma compares to the Nikkor on the 800 and should I consider the f/4? I believe the 28mm prime is a great piece of glass and could be great for low light landscape but not sure if it is wide enough. I recently got rid of my 14-24mm f/2.8 as I hardly ever shoot below 20mm.

Your guidance and experience would be much appreciated.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
You can shoot with your 24-120mm f4 VRII which should do very well on just about everything. Supplement it with a flash indoor. Set the same zoom lens to 28mm and shoot with it to see if the 28mm will be wide enough for your use. In most cases, it will be just right. I love the 28mm f1.8G lens.

Re: 70-200mm f2.8. What can I say? Once you get the best lenses, your NAS will be tamed. :cool:

Dave_W

The Dude
I like your current line up and the 70-200mm is a fantastic lens (I'm considering adding this one soon) but the one lens I think you need in your arsenal is the 85mm f/1.8G. It's an awesome lens and it will compliment your 28mm quite nicely.

Last edited:

Belo

The primes are making more sense. I recon the 28mm f/1.8 (low light landscape) and the 85mm f/1.8 (portrait) is they way to go now.

I would have to build up my lens fund again to get a 70-200mm f/2.8. Would I even need the 24-120 after getting this?

Geoffc

The primes are making more sense. I recon the 28mm f/1.8 (low light landscape) and the 85mm f/1.8 (portrait) is they way to go now.

I would have to build up my lens fund again to get a 70-200mm f/2.8. Would I even need the 24-120 after getting this?

I have both. The 24-120 is a great all rounder which I got in preference to the 24-70. Image quality is still very high but you have more range. It is something you can use as a walkabout as it's not too big. The 70-200vr II, well what can I say. Absolutely stunning. I've had it for about 9 months and recently added the TC-20e III to give me 400mm. A great combo. I have a feeling my wife will be getting the same very soon as she is after a 400mm solution.

It makes sense to have both as the 70-200 is big so not a walkabout.

JDFlood

85mm is one of my most used lenses. I am not fond of zooms ( too much weight). The 20 mm f2 is my light weight wide angle. JD

Last edited:

Belo

I was in-store today and just couldn't make up my mind!

We are not fortunate to have a lens rental company here in Dubai so I pretty much have to go on reviews and the shop demos.

The 105mm is on my camera most of the time.