[REQUEST] - Last Read Post

WhiteLight

Since Mr. Admin Guy is so kindly fine tuning this amazing forum into something even better, me thinks of requests every now & then.. So kindly bear with me John :)

Something i've noticed while using Tapatalk is the option to be able to directly reach the last read post or first unread message in any thread you have already visited.

That is so convenient & logical...

I've seen the option where you can reach the last post of the thread, but that won't help all the time...

Is this possible?
Cos the system is anyway tracking where any user has been in a thread as is evident on Tapatalk, so am guessing it should be something that can be done?

Am hoping this request doesn't annoy anyone ;)

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
You can already do this :) there is a black arrow icon next to the time in the forum or search view.

sent from my phone

WhiteLight

Errr... The black arrow takes me to the LAST post of the thread immaterial of whether i've visited the thread or not...

Let me give an example-
I regularly visit the daily/365 thread to see everyone's uploads.
there are times when i would have missed out a few days & when i get back, i can click on the black arrow & it takes me to the last post in the thread..
Then i have to wade my way through the tread to reach the last post i viewed & then continue forwards.
Possibly most people just view the last post as it can be time consuming to search through the thread.

In Tapatalk, you have an option of viewing threads -
First Post
Last Post
Last VIEWED Post.

When you choose last viewed post in any thread, it takes you perfectly to the last post you have viewed.

And you move through the thread all happy :)

Is there an option for this too on the forums?

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
oops, wrong arrow - if you haven't read a post then they'll be a black down arrow to the left of the title. They'll also be a link at the top of the page next to the social share buttons.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
oops, wrong arrow - if you haven't read a post then they'll be a black down arrow to the left of the title. They'll also be a link at the top of the page next to the social share buttons.

If this is a new feature, I love it. If it was there before, then I never noticed and am glad I now know.

Thanks John!

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
It's been there all along :)

A couple more less obvious things:
  • The icon next to the thread will be an envelope that is open and thread title will be bold indicating that you haven't read it.
  • The green left arrow on the icon indicates that you've participated in the thread.
  • The green check mark means you're subscribed to the thread
  • If you click the number of replies you can see who has responded.
  • If you click the number of replies by user you can see only their replies in that thread.
  • Threads can be sorted a number of different ways by clicking the column header (title/thread starter, views/replies, last post)
  • clicking the arrow next to the username in a quote will bring you to that post

WhiteLight

It's been there all along :)

You serious?? Never seen that before!
Thanks.. that's smashing...

All the 'less obvious things' you stated are very helpful!

One other less obvious thing i notices is this-
If you hover the mouse pointed near the area which shows 'Replies: xx num', it actually shows how many posts YOU have in that thread!
Now how cool is that :cool:

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
You serious?? Never seen that before!
Thanks.. that's smashing...

All the 'less obvious things' you stated are very helpful!

One other less obvious thing i notices is this-
If you hover the mouse pointed near the area which shows 'Replies: xx num', it actually shows how many posts YOU have in that thread!
Now how cool is that :cool:

Yep! If you hover over the title you get a little preview as well.

I forgot one - if you click the paperclip it'll give you a list of the pics that are attached in that thread.