New site header feedback

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
I'm currently working on re-designing the header of the site and wanted to get some user feedback.

Here is what it looks like:
nikonites_header_new.jpg

Changes:
  • Less wasted space
  • Cleaner look - black outlines of buttons gone
  • Larger search box
  • Clearer breadcrumb bit

To use the proposed header, point your browser here:
Nikonites - Nikon Photography Forum

To switch back to the default style:
Nikonites - Nikon Photography Forum
(or select the default style at the bottom left of the page)

So what do you think?

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
I love it. Does it means no more adds in the header? :)

The ads arent there because theyre not set up for that header but if they are a serious bother maybe i can put in a switch in your user settings.
But yeah they do pay for things. :)

sent from my phone

WhiteLight

I like it...
Not that i disliked the other one or i like this better than that :)
Both suit the forum...

I don't have a problem with the ads... Every man needs to earn food on his plate, every site needs to earn its server space ;)

But i would really like either better without the gazillion share buttons which are quite useless to me..
maybe an on/off switch would be great.. i mean a drop down or something...

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
I may be able to work turning ads off into a new forum feature store. I bought my username glow and color in it with experience points ;)

Theres a way to turn off the share buttons under settings.

sent from my phone

KWJams

The only suggestion I have is to make it the same on every page. Now if you come in on the home page the navigation is missing items like quick links that you find on the forum header.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
The only suggestion I have is to make it the same on every page. Now if you come in on the home page the navigation is missing items like quick links that you find on the forum header.

That's a good idea. It actually doesn't work that way with the default software, but it should.

fotojack

Yeah, I like the switch thing idea. I'm not crazy about ads either, but....it is what it is. It would, however, be a nice option to have.

§am

Ads don't bother me, you get to learn to ignore them for the most anyway.
They only get troublesome when the sites (sometimes) takes a bit longer to load because the ad is coming down :(

As for paid subscriptions, donations etc - there are good and bad points to implementing that kind of forum.
What do you make 'special' for subscribers that regular folk won't see and so on.

What would be interesting is how all these experience points and so on all tie up together - I had a look at mine and couldn't make heads nor tails of what it's there for, how it relates to the site etc etc

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Okay, I finally got everything into place with this.

I had to adjust things for the like box and social bookmarks a bit. There is now only one title per page (at the top). It looks much cleaner!

Please post here if you see anything strange.

nikonpup

ads don't bother me, you get to learn to ignore them for the most anyway.
They only get troublesome when the sites (sometimes) takes a bit longer to load because the ad is coming down :(

as for paid subscriptions, donations etc - there are good and bad points to implementing that kind of forum.
What do you make 'special' for subscribers that regular folk won't see and so on.

What would be interesting is how all these experience points and so on all tie up together - i had a look at mine and couldn't make heads nor tails of what it's there for, how it relates to the site etc etc
how many experience points do i need to get a d600 ? :) many things here that i do not know about or use. Experience points r a puzzle.

RockyNH_RIP

Okay, I finally got everything into place with this.

I had to adjust things for the like box and social bookmarks a bit. There is now only one title per page (at the top). It looks much cleaner!

Please post here if you see anything strange.

Everything looks fine for me.... :)

Pat in NH