Photo help please.

I3igcircle

I am in Hong Kong right now with my family, I have the D600 and two lens...
16-35mm f4
50mm 1.8

I can't get a nice shot with out the flash during night time, ie walking the street, in a mall.

16-35 the flash makes this horrible oval shadow in the middle of the frame, I am assuming because of the length of the lens as its there with or with out the lens hood.

What are some starter settings to get useable shots with either lens?

Thanks.

Mike150

Hi T3
First, without a sample photo to look at it's hard to diagnose your problem.
On the night shots, I'd check ISO. Maybe even set camera back to default values. See the manual for how to do this. If you don't have it with you, try here online User's Manual - D600 - User's Manual

As far as the flash goes, using the pop up flash with a large lens (diameter or length) can cause a dark semi circle area around the bottom edge of the photo extending upward toward the center. Does it do this with the 50mm?

Again, try and upload a couple of examples

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
If you'd get your iso up to 3200 I'm sure you could get by. If the camera is on auto, then for sure the flash will pop up.

Trial and error will teach you more than I could. And digital film is cheap.

Enjoy your trip in HongKong.

nikonpup

i did a few test shot with my 10-20mm sigma dx lens above 17mm with flash i had no dark spot. With a high iso 3200 with flash you will be ok with out flash you may need a monopod or tripod since shutter speed will be lower. FLASH 016.jpg20 mm f5.6 1/60 iso 3200 w/flash dark spots in corners are from using dx lens do some practice in a darken room. You may also want to add a speedlight.