One of my First Pictures with My New Nikon - Grandaughter

John Dingman

I am new to digital Photography and any advice for a better shot would be greatly appreciated. I did not have my speedlight yet so the onboard flash was used.

Mom's 75th Birthday 044.JPG

Thanks!
John

PS I realize this is not even in the same league with the others posted here, I am trying to learn better photography.

Last edited:

fotojack

Nicely composed shot, John. Just needs a little brightening up and a little contrast. Otherwise, nice shot. :) Lots to learn....be patient....it will come in time. :)

John Dingman

fotojack,

You are way too kind. After viewing some of the other photos on here I tried to delete my post due to my sheer embarrassment of posting it beside these wonderful portraits.

John

fotojack

No need to delete the post, John. Think of every shot you post as a learning step. You're not the only one that learns from posted shots. Everyone can learn from everyone else's shots....good or bad.

And about being too kind; yeah, I know. It's a fault I have to live with. ;)

Moab Man

John, I am a newbie around here too. Don't hold back sharing photos. The people here are extremely helpful and so much can be learned by looking at how others have composed their shots and what the settings were that they used. Then try to copy what they did. Additionally, I seem to learn a lot from just being in these guys presence.

One other thing, if you like a particular shot ask how they did it.

welcome

snaphappy

I'm a fellow newbie! Everyone is very helpful and the critiques in these posts has been very enlightening for me so go ahead and post because there is knowledge in both positive and negative opinions. I look forward to looking back at my posts and hope to see (alot of) growth perhaps you could do the same. Lovely picture by the way :p

RockyNH_RIP

fotojack,

You are way too kind. After viewing some of the other photos on here I tried to delete my post due to my sheer embarrassment of posting it beside these wonderful portraits.

John

John, no need to be embarrassed, the only way to learn is to shoot and process!! You should have seen some of my early ones a few months ago... (in fact you should see some recent!! :)

Did you do any post preocessing with software you could maybe lighten it a bit... I think the composition is really nice and it is pretty good for the pop-up.. did you have any "red eye"??

Have fun here, we will all learn .. I am learning everyday... One of the things I ask myself, was I satisfied with my effort and the image... You cannot compare to the big dogs .. (But we can sure learn and ask them questions..

Welcome and have fun!

Pat in NH

John Dingman

Hi Pat,

No, the first image was straight from the camera and there was no red eye. I have been trying to tweak the image a bit with software and I am trying out different programs for that until I find one I like.

Thanks for the encouragement!

John

Lscha

John, it is always nice to see how a photo can be improved but please remember that if you like a photo....it is good. Not everyone sees photography the same way. Love your photos and if you make them more appealing to yourself, love them more. Some, you will love that no one else does. That's ok. This forum is helpful for those who ask for help and appreciates the diverse styles and tastes of everyone else.