A developing niche market for an enterprising wedding photographer

Dave_W

The Dude
Reading this article HERE it occurs to me that same-sex marriages could be a very lucrative market to specialize in. To begin with, the market is wide open and more and more states in the US are finding same-sex marriages legal, so the demand will only increase with time. And judging from some of the blow-back I've been reading about these proposals, there may be a lack of traditional wedding photographers willing to take on this market. So as long as you're open minded, it might be a great way to earn cash for new lenses!! :cool:

BackdoorArts

I agree with Dave. And while I suspect that most wedding photographers would be more than happy to cover the ceremony just as they would any other, there's something to be said about how the LGBT consumer honors businesses that cater to the niche market. Whether or not you get the business will still depend on how your work holds up, but I suspect that focused advertising will get you calls before the "generic wedding photographer". Weddings are particularly nerveracking affairs to begin with, so knowing that you won't have to deal with any issue of any kind would certainly help your being considered in the selection process. Same probably holds for venues. Bands? Ah, we all know musicians will do anything for money. ;)

ZenNonna

I am a California girl stranded in Florida. Which is a third world country. Not very open minded here but no state taxes so I am staying. This is an interesting idea have lots of LGBT friend so think I will look into it. BTW when you don't approve of someone else's lifestyle it shows.

Browncoat

Social issues can at times work to your advantage, take the recent protests and support for Chick-fil-A for example. But it can also be your detriment, as I recall reading about a lawsuit involving a photographer recently, because they refused service to a same sex couple.

There are always moral issues at work in business. Do car salesmen wonder if their customers are drunks who could potentially run someone down with the car they're about to sell? Do gun shops feel remorse when one of their customers commits a crime with a weapon they sold? Does Wal Mart enable drug users by selling bath salts?

Small business owners can't really afford to picky. However, we'd all better consider the ramifications of our actions on our reputation, which in most cases is even more important than the quality of our photos. This is a referral business after all.

Sure, refusing service to a gay couple might win some points with the blue haired ladies in your local church group, but who are you alienating in the process? It might be a young mom with 3 small kids who could be using your service for the next 15 years...and she's a vocal member of the PTA with a large circle of influence.

Being just a wedding photographer is saying enough, in my opinion. If you try to niche your way into the gay market, the risks far outweigh the rewards.