DX lens?

BackdoorArts

The D600 & D800 have DX modes that will allow you to shoot with those lenses. The camera can be set to autodetect lens type, and if it is a DX lens then it will autocrop. You can also leave it and get the fade out on the edges where the lens runs out, which on some wide angles and fisheyes can leave you with interesting effects.

There are disadvantages, namely that the 24MP you got when you bought the D600 is reduced to just over 10MP in DX mode, which is less than your D90 and much less than your D7000. However, I find that far less like driving a Ferrari and not taking it out of 1st gear and much more like driving a Ferrari and still being able to enjoy that wiggling Hula Girl that used to be on the dash of your Mazda. If you've got a DX lens that you like (for me it's a Sigma 8-16mm) then continue to use it until you decide it either needs to be replaced, or can be (for me to get the equivalent 12-24mm, or 14-24mm ain't cheap or isn't possible).

Last edited:

stmv

actually,,you can have some fun,,, by turning off the DX mode, and you can use DX lens in FX mode.. So... why ? well,, you can use a sigma 10-20 lens,, in FX mode..

At 10 mm,, you will see a circle,, but,,,, at 14 mm or so,, the circle covers the whole FX sensor!

So,, your DX lens becomes a 15-20 FX wide angle ! how cool is that?

nikonpup

i can see the same effect with my dx 55-300mm low end and high end almost a clear screen, mid range corners black. Might find a use for this in a pinch. My sigma 10-20mm still had some dark in the corners.