Browncoat

4955044592_58517e1ac1_z.jpg

EXIF:
Camera: D90
ISO: 200
Shutter: 1/250
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 58mm

If you're interested, you can read my blog post For the Fallen (external site) on this photograph for details.

I'm particularly interested in critique on this one, guys. Be honest. I spent a lot of time composing this shot just how I wanted it, and I truly value others' input. I'm especially interested in how this makes you feel, if anything.

ohkphoto

Snow White
It's a beautiful capture, Anthony, and it brought tears to my eyes. So it definitely evokes emotion from the viewer, at least this one. I'm not sure how you could make it better. I did read your blogpost and if you wanted to focus on the medal, have you tried to darken the helmet just a tad? Right now, my eyes go straight to the helmet, then the wall, and then I notice the medal. So for me, what got to me was the helmet and the wall, not so much the medal. And maybe that's what it should be.

Like I said, this pic pulled at my heart, so great job, Anthony.

Best Regards

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Excellent shot! Thanks for sharing. Perfect exposure and control of depth of field. Which lens did you use?

Browncoat

Thanks for the comments, everyone! Helene: Yes, I played with the B&W conversion on this for quite some time. I initially liked a version with a darker helmet, but thought the whole image then became too dark overall. After much tweaking, this was the version I was most happy with because there's some contrast.

Eduard: This was shot with the D90 kits lens...Nikkor 18-105mm.

I've also uploaded another photo from my wall visit, if anyone is interested. I'm still working on a few others.

karlyh

I've looked at this so many times! And just like being at 'the' wall in DC... that somber feeling it evokes while standing there at it...This photo did that for me.... as others have said; emotion.
For me though, I noticed first the helmet and then the medal... which felt like, all at the same time but while being fully aware of the wall in the background without actually looking at it.. if that makes sense.
Really powerful image.

Joseph Bautsch

Anthony - Really good shot. I'm not a B&W person but here it works by imparting a somber feeling of the wall and all those who have fallen. Just a thought, and I know you have expressed your opinion on this in the past, but what about brushing back in just that small area of purple in the heart. Just enough color to attract the eye before it moves on to the other parts of the shot. Very good shot in any case.
Joseph

DaveKoontz

I have quite a few friends and buddies whose names appear on the wall behind the helmet. The image brought back a wave of memories, goose bumps and tears to my eyes. You have made a wonderful capture my friend. Nice work.

I initially liked a version with a darker helmet, but thought the whole image then became too dark overall. After much tweaking, this was the version I was most happy with because there's some contrast.

This is an absolutely amazing, thought-provoking shot. The emotion is there, the story is told in this single image. Did you try selectively darkening the helmet and simply leave the rest of the image alone? Lightening up the wall by about 8-10% would compensate for the darker helmet might also work.

Browncoat

Thanks again for the kind words, everyone. I may have to play with the B&W version some more and make a few tweaks to darken the helmet. Here's a selective color version in the meantime:

Purple_Helmet_BWC.jpg

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Anthony: I wish I knew what I do now when I attempted to capture an image in a similar setting about 5 years ago. And even more that I had yours to emulate! In Berlin is a building called Neue Wache which after reunification was changed to the memorial to the "Victims of War and Tyranny". It is open to the weather and it was raining the day I was there. I remember from the description that the lady who made the sculpture lost both her son and grandson in the wars. If you ever get there, I'm sure you could get better results. It has the same quietness that The Wall invokes.

original.jpg

Browncoat

That's a great shot, Eduard. It evokes a feeling of solitude, and I think a tighter crop would lose that feeling.

Regarding my own photo, I took several shots from different angles. This helmet is resting on a rifle whose barrel has been staked into the ground. Much like the makeshift memorials soldiers do to mark the buried while in the field. There are dogtags hanging from the rifle as well. After looking at everything I had photographed of this simple scene, this composition is what seemed to carry the most weight. If I had to choose again, I would still pick this one.

I've contacted the foundation that runs the traveling wall. I want to donate the rights to this photo to them, and encourage them to sell prints at their small store wherever the wall goes to help raise money. I figured it was the least I could do.

Last edited:

Ruidoso Bill

Anthony, I really like the selective color version, the purple just pops and with the drama of the b&w it imposes a very dramatic and emotional scene, shall we never forget the sacrifice.

Browncoat

Update: As previously mentioned, I had contacted a representative from AVTT.org about donating the rights to this photo. Today, I received an email that they have accepted my donation, and it may appear in promo materials, in print form (proceeds going to the foundation), and possibly on their website.

As thrilled as I have been by the responses to this image, both here and elsewhere, I'm glad it has a new home and that it's going towards an outstanding cause.

ohkphoto

Snow White
Update: Today, I received an email that they have accepted my donation, and it may appear in promo materials, in print form (proceeds going to the foundation), and possibly on their website.

As thrilled as I have been by the responses to this image, both here and elsewhere, I'm glad it has a new home and that it's going towards an outstanding cause.

Anthony, congratulations! What a kind and noble gesture on your part. I am proud to be your colleague.

Best Regards

Oz1

Simply a beautiful composition and on a day like today it brings back lots of memories. What makes it for me is that you decided to post this in B&W and brings a somber feel to the image.