I have a Set Of Lenses Picked Out, What Priority Should I Give Them?

Corey @ Faymus Media

I purchased a 50m 1.4g for my D800E. I current am debating a 24-70mm 2.8, however I really want a 85mm 1.4g as well. So do I really need one? Here are the lenses I want to get whats the most important and least important.

I do landscape photography as a hobby, however I do mostly engagements, weddings, and modeling/portraits/glamour.

1.85mm 1.4G
2.70-200mm 2.8
3.24-70mm 2.8 ( do i need this if i have a 50mm, and a 85mm? I can also grab the 24mm 1.4 ED)
4.24mm 1.4 ED
5.105mm micro 2.8
6.14-24mm 2.8

Any help would be appreciated, thanks my fellow Nikonites!

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I'd switch the 85 1.4 to the 85 1.8 and get the 24-70 2.8. For your engagements/weddings/glamour, this 24-70 is really a must have lens. Then go for the 70-200. This would be my route unless you can afford all your 6 choices at once… :)

Dave_W

The Dude
I agree with Marcel, lose the 85 f/1.4 and get the 85 f/1.8G, the highest rated lens ever tested by DxO and I would also suggest losing the 24 f/1.4. It's a very expensive lens that is covered by both your 14-24 and 24-70. Consider instead the 28mm f/1.8G. It's much cheaper and the difference of 4mm vs. $1000+ in cost doesn't really balance. Also, consider your telephoto reach. Right now you're stuck at 200mm, consider a TC for your 70-200 or buy the inexpensive but very nice 70-300mm. It's not the fastest lens but solid and does a great job.

Ha ha, I just realized, if you take all my suggestions you'll end up with the same set of lenses I have....who coulda known?!? ;)

stmv

I think as a wedding photographer,,,, I would choose

the 24-70 as number 1

the 14-24 as number 2

the 24 1.4 is fun,,, I did a test shot this weekend with one
no flash, low light, hand held,

_DSC8459 lens of land smaller.jpg

Last edited:

Corey @ Faymus Media

I wasn't sure if the 24-70 was up for low light as I just rented it for 3 weeks and it is an ok lens but distorts at 24mm and is very corner soft only the center of the frame is sharp until it reaches 28-30mm. Plus it's stuck at 2.8.

Maybe I am spoiled rotten with the 1.4 lens haha

DTigga

24-70 is the ultimate multi-purpose lens and should be no.1 on your list. I wanted this lens but just couldn't swing it. I ended up with the Tamron equivalent and have been quite pleased with the results.

Puzz1e

Banned
1.85mm 1.4g --- 3 (get the 1.8g instead)
2.70-200mm 2.8 -- 2
3.24-70mm 2.8 -- 1
4.24mm 1.4 ED -- 5
5.105mm micro 2.8 -- 4 (for wedding detail shots)
6.14-24mm 2.8 -6 (not sure how wide you will go very often)

Corey @ Faymus Media

So far I love the suggestions. I really like the 24-70 i Just dont like how soft it is in the corners at 2.8, i have to stop it down to 4, or 5.6 to fix that and at 24mm there is still barrel distortion however i guess in the bright summer afternoons while shooting weddings that wont be an issue.

What I can say, is the Tokina 16-28mm is FANTASTIC! It has less distortion than that of the nikon 14-24. The 14-24 seemed to perform great between 18-24, and the tokina performs great all through.

The Tokina people (a group of Nikon optical engineers who left Nippon Kogaku, or Nikon, to form their own lens company; sort of a true return to the original roots of Nippon Kogaku) have had some good lenses also, mainly in their ATX series.

So Tokina should actually be the best of the third party lenses, or are they really "Third" party lol

eurotrash

I'd put the 105 replacing #3. I don't think you need that lens personally. Of course ymmv, your style etc. etc. I think everything else is pretty much on point though.

ZenNonna

I have 24-70 & 85 1.8. I bought 1.8 first only because of $. But hands down 24-70 is FIRST. If I did it again 24-70 would be first.

Corey @ Faymus Media

I used the Tamron 24-70 today for a few minutes, much fatter than the Nikkor. FANTASTIC lens! The VR works so well! It was fantastic! I think there is less stretching and warping in the corners than on the Nikkor 24-70 however I am not 100% sure.

DTigga

I used the Tamron 24-70 today for a few minutes, much fatter than the Nikkor. FANTASTIC lens! The VR works so well! It was fantastic! I think there is less stretching and warping in the corners than on the Nikkor 24-70 however I am not 100% sure.

I picked up this lens a few weeks ago and I continue to be impressed. On the D800 its fantastic. I've found a bit of vignetting at 24mm wide open, but this is easily correctable in pp. Other than that I can't fault it.

Corey @ Faymus Media

I picked up this lens a few weeks ago and I continue to be impressed. On the D800 its fantastic. I've found a bit of vignetting at 24mm wide open, but this is easily correctable in pp. Other than that I can't fault it.

Have you used the Nikkor? If so how do you feel about that lens? do you feel there is less warping and distortion on the Tamron? the AF on the Nikkor is noticeably faster tho. I think the Nikkor may be better for speed and portraits and the tamron better for wide landscapes and video as the VR and less distortion wide open would justify that.

This is just an assumption tho.

Puzz1e

Banned
I have a feeling nikon will be releasing a VR model in the coming months. Just a hunch.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2