Purchasing D3200, Have a few ?'s

NFA Fabrication

I am getting ready to purchase a D3200. I have to wait until next week to purchase, as I get paid on Monday, Feb. 4th. I just heard that the Nikon sale ends on the 2nd (Of course). What is the likelihood of Nikon extending the sale? Is there anyway to know ahead of time? I plan on purchasing The D3200 with 18-55 lens, and adding a 55-200 at that time. With the sale, and the deal on the additional lens, I am looking at $749. If I miss the sale, and it is not renewed, It jumps to $849! Any ideas?

Also, I am mostly going to be taking automotive pictures as I am restoring a 1964 Impala, and want to document it along the way. I will be reading a lot on the forums, as I am new to this, and haven't really used anything outside of basic point and shoot camera's. Thanks in advance!

Rick M

My advice would be to save up for a D5200 or get a D5100 instead. The D3200 does not auto-bracket which is an important feature.

NFA Fabrication

I am new to this, and have read of the Auto-Bracketing, but have no idea what it means. What all does that bring to the table. I will spend more if it is worthwhile!

Rick M

Auto bracketing sets the camera to shoot a series of shots in a burst at various exposures. I use it a lot for HDR photography. When I got my first DSLR (D3100) I did not do enough research and eventually moved up to a D5100 for that reason.

NFA Fabrication

Just started looking at the D5200, it is another $300 (Another half as much as the D3200). With the other accessories I need to get, this will most likely be out of my price range. Curious to see if it goes on sale soon... Hopefully Nikon has a new sale when the current one ends on the 2nd. The D5200 isn't included in the current sale, so I am guessing it won't be on the next one.

NFA Fabrication

I also downloaded the "WirelessMobileAdapterUtility" app for the WU-1A wireless adapter. The app doesn't seem to be able to be shut down at all. Every time I exit it, it just restarts itself. It has to be forced to shut down in the settings on my tablet. Figured someone here was using it, am I missing something here?

Last edited:

§am

The price of the D5100 (here in the UK at least) is less than that of the D3200 and IMO get the D5100 - even if you don't know what auto bracketing is, etc, you'll learn :)

suvlady

The price of the D5100 (here in the UK at least) is less than that of the D3200 and IMO get the D5100 - even if you don't know what auto bracketing is, etc, you'll learn :)

I got the D3200 in early December and am contemplating returning it for the D5100. The one thing that I am not clear on is besides using the bracketing for HDR, what else exactly would you use it for? I do alot of cropping on my photos, which is what let me to the D3200 and I can manually do the bracketing if I want to play around with HDR. I just need some clarity on when else the bracketing would come into play.

Puzz1e

Banned
If you are going to be doing landscapes then I guess auto bracketing may help. You can of course achieve the same thing manually, but its a bit of a pain for anything more than a 3 shot bracket. Personally not the biggest fan of HDR so this wouldn't affect my decision. Its upto you to know what you will most likely need/use.

Surely the 5100 can be had for a good price now that the 5200 is out? How do you feel about second hand equipment? I see the D7000 being sold second hand for great prices here in Australia.

As for the sale item issue. Surely you can ask the shop to take a deposit on the camera and pay the remaining balance on the 4th of Feb? This should enable you to get the sale price...if that's the camera you end up going with.

BeeBop

I also downloaded the "WirelessMobileAdapterUtility" app for the WU-1A wireless adapter. The app doesn't seem to be able to be shut down at all. Every time I exit it, it just restarts itself. It has to be forced to shut down in the settings on my tablet. Figured someone here was using it, am I missing something here?

if I may ask? what tablet do you have? just got mu s3 work with OTG-USB wire...so I can trasnfer all my cam photos to phone then upload using WIFI

NFA Fabrication

As for the sale item issue. Surely you can ask the shop to take a deposit on the camera and pay the remaining balance on the 4th of Feb? This should enable you to get the sale price...if that's the camera you end up going with.

I actually already called and tried that, they said no. I really wish there was a way to know what sale options are going to be after Saturday. This may just shut down my camera purchasing plan for some time. I'd kill to know if there are gonna be any D3200/5200 sale options coming up...

BeeBop

This is what I did to my 3200... uploadfromtaptalk1359436697719.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

NFA Fabrication

If the nexus 7 has a microUSB port you can do the same thing....

It does. But not really interested in having wired "Technology". Not overly excited that the wireless module for the D3200/D5200 does not fit on the camera with out leaving a door open either. Total afterthought. WiFi/bluetooth built in would be amazing/more logical. But from what I here, the App is garbage anyway, so none of that really matters to me. More concerned with what the Nikon sale scene is going to look like next week (After Feb. 2nd) more than anything.

BeeBop

Lol.....:D just wanted to help.....nikon need to upgrade its application for the wifi system...its actually a waste of time

NFA Fabrication

Lol.....:D just wanted to help.....nikon need to upgrade its application for the wifi system...its actually a waste of time

I wasn't trying to bitch, I think I know what app you are talking about and watched a youtube video on it yesterday, that coupled with wireless would be amazing! I'm just down on the fact that I have been saving for a camera, and found out that I am gonna miss the sale date by 2 days, making it out of my realistic price range. Unless Nikon renews some kind of a sale after this one, it is likely my whole camera purchasing plans are on hold. Then I'll end up spending the money i've been saving on one of my other 20 hobbies instead. Tale as old as time....

NFA Fabrication

If the sale doesn't get renewed, I am gonna have to look at Cannon, or most likely drop it all together. I am just going to take it as a sign if it happens. I've been saving, made my plans, looks like that is getting shot down (We'll see sunday after the current sale), and then I got the worst possible job at work generally ruining all motivation (I am a mechanic, and I get to work on possibly the worst engineered vehicle on the road, and do the worst job on it - Motor install on a 2004 Dodge Durango). I know that if I try to wait, the money will get used elsewhere, it's just how it goes for me.