Which 70(80)-200 2.8 lens?

SAbbott

I am trying to shoot more sports and am looking at getting a used tele zoom lens. Obviously I need a 2.8 maximum aperture. I am a college student putting myself through school so price point is very important. Do you guys have any advice? Are there real advantages between the one-touch and two-touch? Is buying Nikon brand going to make a huge difference vs. Tamron or other 3rd party? I read that VR isn't important when shooting sports, is that true? Any advice or comments would be appreciated

pedroj

I have the 80-200mm D lens...I shoot surfing, motoX and car racing with it...I do use a tripod because of the length of time...

SAbbott

Is it the twist or push-pull? I read some people complaining of the lens "creeping" because of the push-pull mechanism. That was the lens that I was looking at, what do you think is a good price for a used one in good condition?

Last edited:

pedroj

"Twist"I haven't used the push/pull type...I read some where they suck dust in...

I've just looked on ebay... like mine The cheapest I saw was $580..

New they can be bought here in Aus for $960..

Last edited:

Pierro

I read that VR isn't important when shooting sports, is that true?

Very true - VR has to settle first, so is too slow for fast action. Its only good, more or less, for single shot static subjects where you have no tripod and perhaps the shutter speed is not as fast as you would like to stop your own hand held motion causing blur. VR doesn't stop blur in action shots

Last edited:

Puzz1e

Banned
Yeah VR only an issue if you are hand holding.

If price point is an issue, have you considered the Sigma 70-200 OS?

Last edited:

Drew Wat

I have the 80-200 F2.8 and it is the twist zoom. It is a great lens. I can't speak for the 70-200 series. My choice was all price based as well as I am still a bit old school in regards to liking the less complicated. I like the older lenses that are made out of metal over the plastic that the newer ones seem to be made of. Just seems to feel better in my hands. I don't know how the VR would work on such a large lens but I have found that when I use the 80-200 it is in well lit situations and the shutter is fast enough to not worry about any vibration. I also have been using the tripod in lower light and again no vibrations to speak of. Cost of the 80-200 is half the cost of the new 70-200. Sometimes you get even better deals that make it even sweeter. Good luck on what ever you choose no matter what you will not regret getting either lens.

Pierro

I completely disagree with this statement! Look at the photos that I shoot. Drag Racing and Snowmobiling. All shot with a 70-200 2.8 VRI with VR on. Never had an issue

If you shoot action like racing /snowmobs , surely you're using fast SS, and so why are you using VR ? I think your shutter speeds are overriding the VR system. VR was invented for slow SS hand held shots, and surely you wont be using slow SS for action shots ?

Drew Wat

If you shoot action like racing /snowmobs , surely you're using fast SS, and so why are you using VR ? I think your shutter speeds are overriding the VR system. VR was invented for slow SS hand held shots, and surely you wont be using slow SS for action shots ?

This was my thinking when I was getting the 80-200 over the 70-200. Is the VR really necessary for this lens at double the cost? I mean unless your a pro making a living from this.

Pierro

Personally, yes i think its worth having. Its a fab lens, and has many uses, and not just action photography. The VR would come into its own in other areas of shooting