D3100 command dial not working

GatorBill

How do I do a factory reset on my D3100. There are no "green" marked buttons, and there is no reset under the flap on the left side of the body. My "command" dials functions are everything but correct.

GatorBill

I should have mentioned that I have already done that. Other posts that I have seen indicate that there is a "hard reset" like other Nikon DSLR cameras, apparently not. Most of my "command functions" do not work properly and I was hoping for a reset solution. Looks more like a repair. Thanks for your help..

Last edited by a moderator:

fotojack

Re: D3100 Tips and settings

The D3100 does not have a 2 button reset option. To perform a reset you need to manually choose the reset option in the Shooting Menu and the Setup menu. To do this press 'Menu', select the Shooting Menu and scroll through the options until 'Reset Shooting Options' is highlighted, press ok, highlight 'Yes' and press ok again. Repeat this for the Setup menu.

GatorBill

Thanks Jack. I had already done that. Just hoping for another solution to my problem before resorting to Nikon repair.

Bill

fotojack

Thanks Jack. I had already done that. Just hoping for another solution to my problem before resorting to Nikon repair.

Bill
[h=2]"Re: D3100 Tips and settings[/h]
How do I do a factory reset on my D3100. There are no "green" marked buttons, and there is no reset under the flap on the left side of the body. My "command" dials functions are everything but correct."

Bill, I'm just replying to your post (#22). What other solution is there to your question?

GatorBill

Apparently none. My "command dial" functions are not working properly and I was hoping that a "hard" reset might restore them. Tried a firmware download via my IMac, but that did not work as indicated on their website so I will try again with a Windows machine.

Bill

GatorBill

Thanks Rick. Gave it a try with my IMAC, but the camera did not recognize the download. Will try with a Windows machine.

Bill

Rick M

Could you be a bit more specific on the problems, give an example. I'm assuming the card is not full and you have pulled the battery?

GatorBill

I can. Yes, I am using a newly formatted SD card and I have pulled and replaced the battery. The camera is functional, but when I use the Command Dial to select the preprogrammed functions or the the "P" through "M" functions, the screen display and functionality do not match the dial positions on any but "Auto", "no flash", "close up", "night", "P", "S" and "A". All others do not correspond to the dial settings, e.g. "Guide" indicates "P"; "M" indicates "A"; "Portrait" indicates "P"; "Landscape" indicates "S"; "Child" indicates "A"; and "Sports" indicates "A". Really messed up!

Bill

GatorBill

Just over a year, out of standard warranty. Hopefully my credit card company will make good on their "double the warranty" plan.

Bill

Rick M

Yea, hopefully they will honor the extended warranty. Only other suggestion would be to leave the battery out for a long time and trying the firmware update again. Other issues I've heard of is a bad contact betwween the body and lens or using a lens which is not supported. Good Luck!

GatorBill

Lens are good, all working just fine for months. I'll try your suggestions and see what happens. Thanks for your interest, I'll post on how it works out.

Bill

GatorBill

Just received my camera back from Nikon repair. Apparently the command dial was bad, they replaced the top cover on the D3100. All good now.