80 - 400mm VR FX or DX mode D800

Scott Murray

Hi all only 48 days to got till Africa and I have been doing yet more research.
Should I be using my D800 and 80-400mm VR in DX mode instead of FX mode? As I have been reading that this will give me better reach? I am unsure of that! But I have also heard that it could help with sharpness and that is a good thing. Does any one have any experience with this? I wont be back home till next week and am curious to see the difference. If I am unable to get a to get any life experience I may have to experiment myself next week.

Cheers

Scott

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I don't have that lens nor that camera, but if it was me I'd shoot everything FX and crop if you have to. It should be the same. DX mode is cropped FX in my book, so use as much sensor you can for higher quality and better enlargements but if push comes to shove, take the shots even if you know you'll crop later.

Scott Murray

I don't have that lens nor that camera, but if it was me I'd shoot everything FX and crop if you have to. It should be the same. DX mode is cropped FX in my book, so use as much sensor you can for higher quality and better enlargements but if push comes to shove, take the shots even if you know you'll crop later.
Ok what I think I will do is take 2 x identical shots next week. I will show the full frame FX shot, the software cropped FX shot, and the in camera DX cropped photo. Then I should be able to get a rough idea of whether it would be worth changing or waiting to get back to the computer. I am not planning on cropping but you really never know.

Rick M

I agree with Marcel. All you are really doing is using a smaller portion of the sensor. When I switch to Dx mode with the D600, the viewfinder shows a smaller grid which is what will be captured in Dx mode. It does not get you any more reach. So you end up with 36mp in fx, or 16mp in Dx, the same you would have if you cropped the Fx image.

Rick M

What is the purpose of the DX mode on an FX camera?

The only two advantages I see is the ability to use Dx lenses and the fact that you can create a smaller RAW file if you want. The ability to use Dx glass is great for those that want to upgrade, but can't swing all new glass at the same time

Mike150

I remember reading somewhere (At least I think it was reading and not a dream). A DX lens on a FX camera creates a lot of excess vignetting in the corners... Of course I don't have a FX camera so what the heck do I know?

Scott Murray

I am thinking that I also agree with Marcel, I think its best to use all the FX sensor and then crop to suit as sometimes I wont be cropping all the way to DX size. Thanks for the input and feedback.