I hereby renounce Canon! What's the outlook on D600 prices?

Hyogen

I wish I had converted in time to get the D600 + kit lens + bonuses from B&H on Dec 14... Any outlook on if that kind of deal will come back anytime soon?

I am reading the oil/dust issue was way overblown.....still, is it not wise to buy from gray market?

I wouldn't mind a used D600 at all... Is the best I'm gonna do for a while is buying one from Fredmiranda forums for about $2000 new including kit lens? Not too bad except for missing out on maybe $100 worth of accessories via the B&H deal...

Hope the forums here are as alive and fun as the POTN Canon forums. I got kinda sick of the fanboys there--almost as bad as Apple fanboys............the worst kind there is ;) ;) ;) That's not the biggest reason why I converted to Nikon, however. As much as the DxO comparisons are quite compelling, I knew I wanted to go full frame for better portrait color depth. I had the old Rebel T1i (500D). I also want the low light performance of a FF. I didn't want to go with the ancient AF system on the 5D mark2 and pay over $1300 for used...... I would pay about that much possibly for a D700, but I would miss video too much. I almost went with a 5D classic which would have only set me back $500!!

In order to switch to a D600, I'm going to have to settle for maybe 2 lenses for now...I had 6 for Canon. I think it will be worth it to have Nikon's AF system and superior sensor. I hear Nikon lenses are a little cheaper in general--I hope..!

• Rokinon 8mm fisheye
  • Sigma 10-20mm
  • Sigma 30mm 1.4
  • Canon 40mm 2.8 pancake STM
  • Sigma 50mm 1.4
  • Sigma 70-300 apo macro
I'll probably immediately get a 50mm 1.4 and 85mm 1.8 and get an ultrawide lens soon. Roughly, what are those lenses going to set me back? Canon 50 1.4 and 85mm 1.4 can be had for about $300 each (gently used copies)

I'm going to list all my Canon gear today on Craigslist and POTN. FYI I have tons of feedback on POTN and other forums such as Head-Fi.org - Headphone forums and reviews for audiophiles.

My name is Justin...
Pleased to meet you :D Any advice for me and my particular situation would be greatly appreciated! Canon, I renounce you!!!!

Last edited:

BackdoorArts

Hey there, Justin. Welcome!!

The prevailing advice here is to avoid the grey market, particulary with bodies, as one issue will blow any savings you might gain early on. I've got a D600, and while all complaints on the internet seem more acute than they are, I will tell you that I am continuing to deal with the dust/oil issue on the body I got from B&H back in December. No complaints, but it's something you'll likely deal with at some point to some extent.

Plenty of great people here, and some great advice. Let me be the first to offer some and recommend the 50mm 1.8g over the 1.4. On all accounts it's a sharper lense - if you can find one in stock. No complaints about the 85mm 1.8 either. The pair can be had for just over $700 new.

Hyogen

thank you both. I hope the Nikon 50mm 1.8 has more pleasing bokeh than Canon's cheap nifty fifty 50mm 1.8. I found my Sigma 50 1.4 to be much sharper than the nifty fifty. I would probably be looking at used lenses...any idea how much the 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8 should go for used?

I really like video but am being urged pretty hard by two friends to get the D700 instead. I would actually prefer the 12MP sensor.. but no video KILLS me. I feel that even though it's not meant to be a video camera, video function adds quite a bit of value to the nice lenses..

Before I had any intention of going to Nikon, I wanted to get the Canon 135mm F/2.0L which could be had for about $750 lightly used. How much does the Nikon version go for? I hear it even has an added defocusing feature which is pretty intriguing :)

I will call up some nikon dealers and see if they have used/refurbs.

nikonpup

a good place to check refurished nikon equipment is the "store" @ nikon usa. Prices are high, better deals can be had.

PapaST

Welcome aboard Justin! I kind of feel the same way you do about the higher MP count on the D600. I was happy with 16 but it was certainly not something that was going to hold me back. And as for video, I see where the argument is with separating a fine image camera from video. But honestly, if I ever delve into video I'm happy to know that I have a very capable device in the D600. Looking at your situation from a distance it really sounds like you want video and will probably kick yourself if you don't go with it. Either way they're both fine cameras.

Here's a short movie of a couple of guys using a D600. Gets me pumped up everytime. ;)

Nikon D600 D-Movie (Long version) - YouTube

Hyogen

i just returned to this thread just now...after crazy flip flopping back and forth and agonizing every review and comparison...

I found a d600 like new with less than 800 shots, unregistered, for $1575 and got it. Hope I did pretty well :)

will return and reply to comments tomorrow!

daredevil123

Congrats on the purchase!

As for lenses, the Nikon 50/1.8G is a great performer, tack sharp and beautiful bokeh. I am using the Sigma 50/1.4 myself but I got it before the 50/1.8G came out.

As for the 135/2DC, it is a great lens but you need to understand how to use the DC control. It a control that let you choose between the foreground or background blur to be more pleasing. As with any older AF-D lenses, the 135DC is a little less contrasty compared to the newer G lenses, but nothing a little PP cannot fix.

And yes, the new 85/1.8G is a lens that does not disappoint.

And BTW, I also own the Samyang 14mm. Excellent lens. I pair it with my workhorse 16-35VR.

Hyogen

Thank you. I unfortunately go the non-D versions of the 50 and 85mm lenses. Hopefully for decent prices....both excellent condition, the 85mm with the metal hood... $90 for the 50mm, $300 for the 85mm. I could have waited longer to try to snipe an 85mm 1.8D on ebay for around $270, but I just could not wait and bought it on CL.

_HYO8279 by hyo : foto, on Flickr

_HYO8288 by hyo : foto, on Flickr

_HYO8217 by hyo : foto, on Flickr

_HYO8241 by hyo : foto, on Flickr

_HYO8207 by hyo : foto, on Flickr

my first images. I love the sun flare I'm getting :D

Alex66

I have both the lenses you mention, love them especially the 85mm that cost me £100 I think. With patience you can snipe some bargains my 28mm 2.8 cost me £5, 24mm £75, makes me happy as I love primes.

Hyogen

I just realized I have some of the spots that can especially be seen in the sunset photo. I will look into cleaning them. I read that they go away after a couple thousand shots..my camera is at 800ish

daredevil123

Why the 50mm 1.8g over the 1.4 which i was told it was a sharper lens?

Only the newer 50/1.8G is sharper than the 1.4G or the 1.4D.

But the 50/1.8 AF-D, and AF, although are relatively sharp, is not sharper than the 1.4G or 1.4D at F1.8. And they do not give very pleasing bokeh, especially when there are highlights involved.

The AF-D and AF lenses, both 1.4 and 1.8, are quite prone to purple fringing if high contrast situations. The newer G versions are much better controlled, especially on the 1.8G.

I would strongly recommend the newer G lenses over the older AF-D or AF lenses because the improvement is just so much more for a little more money.

Last edited:

daredevil123

You will notice a lot more fringing when shooting in strong sunlight. But then again, with tools to correct frigning, it can be controlled in post. But the one thing that cannot be fixed is the bokeh the older F1.8 gives you, if you look at your OOF highlights (those bokeh balls), you will notice that they are not so pleasing, like onion rings.

Hyogen

hi :) I do some. Some can be seen in my smugmug gallery in the "other" folder. Pretty much all of those were taken with my old Rebel though.