The conversion is complete!!

Geoffc

Today I got the last two parts of my DX to FX conversion, the 16-35 F4 and the TC-20E III. The transition went something like this:

1. Replace D300s with D800 (Can't bring myslef to sell the D300s so that part of the business case is still in tatters).
2. Replace 35 1.8 with 50 1.8g
3. Tokina 11-16 becomes 16-35 F4
4. 18-200 becomes 24-120 F4. Not quite the same range but a good everyday lens
5. 70-200 - I bought this last year so this is down as a cost saving in the business case :D
6. TC-20E III - This gets the 70-200 to a more usable length for wildlife.

This wasn't a particularly cheap Journey, although I got everything through a friend in the trade which helped a lot. I also sold my DX gear (Except D300s) to MPB photographic in the UK. If you're in the UK and you want to sell or buy tidy used gear they are fantastic to deal with. They pay a fair price for your used gear (I reckon as good as I would see on auction sites after fees but with no hassle) and they don't try to rip you off. If you buy and you don't like the product a free courier picks it up and the money is back in your account. They also offer a warranty on used gear.

Further to my earlier D800 posts, I think I'm now getting to grips with it and getting sharper results. I took a handheld at at 1/60 400mm earlier and it wasn't bad at all. In reality I don't think the 70-200 is capable of taking bad pictures even with a TC or me attached.

gear-1.jpg

AC016

One gold box, two gold box, three gold box, four gold box, five gold box, six gold box, seven...... uuhhhhhhhh, what's this?? Number seven is a bit of an odd ball... lol:) Thanks for sharing, good luck with the new gear!

stmv

its NEVER COMPLETE!! but nice start, and you will love the 800!

Keep the d300 as spare body, backup (when you are getting the 800 serviced/cleaned) etc

Geoffc

Yeah the 300s will probably keep place in my bag for the time being even though I was offered a fair price for it. I guess it's always nice to have two quality bodies and I've loved the 300 since the day I bought one for my wife five years ago. It is actually still a star performer. My friend was struggling to get his D600 to shoot more than 9 frames of RAW without buffering yesterday. I pulled the 300 out of my bag set to RAW and it blasted 6fps until we got bored :) Also the AF is still right up there which is one of the reasons I ended up getting the 800 as it's similar.

Geoffc

I love gold boxes. Congrats!

Might want to consider a 1.4x TC for minimal loss of IQ with the 70-200mm. ;)

When I've got some images with the TC I'll post them. The mk iii gets very good reviews and it seems to be one of the best ways to get to 400 mm that it a good balance of cost and IQ.

My wife may be getting the 300/4 and 1.4 later in the year so I'll try that as well.