D7000 or ??

80scuban

hey guys after sometimes away from cameras im looking to get something new as of now i only have a film body "F 100" and a 50 mm 1.8 D... I was thinking about getting a D3200 but im also looking at the D7000.. i like to shoot a bit of everything , any ideas on what would work better????

Dave_W

The Dude
Welcome to Nikonites! I would suggest the D600 since a full frame will be more like your F100 than will the D7000. However, both are nice cameras and you can't go wrong with either choice.

80scuban

guys thanks alot for the replys , someone that i know had told me about the D600 as a option too but i think ill pass on that one for now till a later time ....

ryanwphotography

Definetly a D7000 or D600! The 50mm 1.8D has a focussing screw drive, therefore will not autofocus on anything under a D7000. I guess you could upgrade to the new G lens, but if your other lens is in good shape I wouldn't bother.
Just my 2cents...

Puzz1e

Banned
I had a D7000 for a couple years and loved it. I would wait for the replacement though if you can. Also, have you considered a second hand d700? Full frame and can be had for good prices these days!

ideacipher

D7000 unless you can find a lightly used D300.

I looked for one of these before buying the 7000. The thing about 300's is they are work horses and most out there have been used like they were intended (Even a secondary for a pro gets a beating and tons of clicks). So yes if you can find a slightly used one go for it. I was waiting on the D300/s replacement or D7000 replacement but couldn't hold out. It may be another year or more from now anyways before they come about.

Somersetscott

Well, with the new D7000 replacement around the corner the D7000 is going to be readily available for recon/2nd hand market at awesome prices. Still an epic camera and will have gotten it for a bargain. D7000 replacement will probably bridge its current gap in £999-£1200 I should imagen.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Puzz1e

Banned
Yeah, if you are ok with the DX sensor, there's not much better out there than the D7000. Great all round camera! The only time I hit the limit if it's capabilities was when shooting sports in rubbish lighting. The ISO performance is great for a DX camera.

ideacipher

This is just my opinion but a 5200 wouldn't be a good choice. No AF motor and your 50 will be manual but you may focus manually all the time and this doesn't matter. I love the option of picking up older lenses with a built in AF motor equipped body.

The 7000 will give you great build quality, faster shutter, better on camera control, better view finder, commander mode for speed lights etc. If you are looking into the 7000 or above don't buy below that model. The newer 3200 and 5200's have more MPs but other than that not much improvement. Not many people need the swing out lcd but if you find yourself needing live view at crazy angles those may be a better choice for that feature.

Incubate

Here's a true story. Our company only used Canon. We were contracted to go up to the Congo for a large mining company. With it being a professional shoot we always go with 2 cameras. At the time, due to other commitments, we only had one 5D available and the 7D's were also out. We've always had a few Nikon primes floating around the office and the D7000 was the only camera we could get our hands on in the short amount of time. By the end of the 10 day shoot in the Congo I was a complete Nikon convert and especially a fan of the D7000. I still think it's one of those special cameras that they got completely right, no flaws, tough as nails and produces beautiful photographs. Seeing what the prices are like for the D7000 at the moment, I wouldn't hesitate farting around asking too many questions on forums and I'd get my arse into a camera store, buy the camera and get out there and start taking some photos. What ever you decide, enjoy the experience.