Basic D200 questions from a newbie-to-be

Rossie

Am thinking of getting a D200 but know nothing about Nikon as have been either Fuji (digital bridge) or Canon film SLR until now. Coming back after a break and know nothing about Nikon cameras apart from their quality and a D200 looks like a good buy for what I want. A couple of things I'd like to know though:
The VR on Nikons - is it in the lens or camera body?
What do the D and G stand for in Nikkor lenses? And which lenses should I look at, thinking of 2 zooms, something like 28-80 and 70-300?
Anything I should look out for when buying one?
There seem to be plenty with less than 20,000 actuations which is what I've been looking at - is this sensible? Or should I be looking for lower or is higher ok?
Thanks for any help
Rossie

fotojack

Hi Rossie, welcome to Nikonites. Good choice in cameras, if I do say so myself. :) Anything under 20k actuations is good for that camera. It also depends what you pay for it. It would help if you finished your profile with things such as your location. It really helps us determine a proper answer to any of your questions.

The VR is in the lenses.
The D stands for Distance. The G stands for "Gelded" ;) lol. Just kidding. G lenses will work on the D200.; Not to worry. :) If you really want the definitive meaning to those two terms, check it out on Wikipedia. Just do a search on "Nikon lens designations".
The 28-80 and the 70-300 are fantastic lenses. You will never go wrong with those choices. Again.....depending on the prices.
I actually have helpful charts for the D200 banks that I know will be extremely helpful to you, however I can only send them to you via email, as they are pdf files, which I can't upload to you through Nikonites. If you want them, just send me a private message in here with your email address and I'll be happy to send them to you. :)