First Camera

CyHawk

Hello -

I am looking to get my first camera. I have been reading as much as I can about the D90 and D5100. In the D5100 section there is a D90 vs D5100 sticky. There were several people who said they would take the D90 over the D5100 in a heartbeat. Most of those posts were made in April 2011. Does everyone still feel the same? D90 over the D5100? My friend is selling his D90 with an 18-55 lens for $600. It has around 4k clicks.
Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
James

AC016

If you really want something like the D90, wait for the D7000 to go down in price - it is the replacement of the D90. For your first camera, get a new one. You will then have the full year warranty behind it. The D5100 is a great camera - it's a D7000 in a smaller, less featured body -, but it does not have all the manual features a D90 has. D5100 is more menu driven.

§am

The way I see it is;
D3x00 = Beginner's
D5x00 = Mid range
D7x00 - Higher end
(This doesn't include any of the other DX Nikon camera series)

The higher end has a built in AF motor which could be a significat factor in your choice, but if you're willing to overlook that (there are plentu of good AF-S lenses out there), then of course there are other features in the D7x00 range what may persuade you further.
The D5100 in my opinion for someone like you (based on your OP) is the best camera for buck - you're not coming in at a beginner, and you're not going in over your head - just somewhere nice to sit and learn :)

Rick M

The D5100 has only one main control dial/wheel, where the 90/7000 has two. This allows you to change settings faster without looking at the menu, very handy. I would go for the D7000 between the two.

funfortehfun

D7000 is a must over the D90. As much as I love my own D90... technology changes. :p
There are plenty of features to be loved about the D7000 over the D90.

trarmstrong

What standard lens would be a good alternative to the 18-55 or 18-105? Looking at either Tamron 17-50 or Sigma 17-70 (Nikon 18-105 is okay if it competes in sharpness and distortion).

Thanks.

stmv

I would vote for the 18x105 as a nice zoom starter lens. On my 5100, I use the 18x200 VR.. sharp enough.

fotojack

The way I see it is;
D3x00 = Beginner's
D5x00 = Mid range
D7x00 - Higher end
(This doesn't include any of the other DX Nikon camera series)

The higher end has a built in AF motor which could be a significat factor in your choice, but if you're willing to overlook that (there are plentu of good AF-S lenses out there), then of course there are other features in the D7x00 range what may persuade you further.
The D5100 in my opinion for someone like you (based on your OP) is the best camera for buck - you're not coming in at a beginner, and you're not going in over your head - just somewhere nice to sit and learn :)

I can add to that list: Single digit models......e.g. D3, D4, etc. are pro
Two digit models.........e.g. D40, D50, D60, D70, etc are beginner
Three digit models......e.g. D200, D300, D700, etc. are semi pro
Four digit models........e.g, D3000, D5000, etc. are advanced beginner

As told to me by a Nikon rep a couple of years ago.

§am

I was debating between the 18-105 and the 16-85, but for my budget and intended use, I'll be heading towards the 18-105.
Although it does pain me that my trusty 18-55 'kit' lens will become more of a trophy and added to my collection somewhere, not seeing much use if I do go down that road.

BackdoorArts

The 18-105 is a very nice lens if you have only one and will give you the ability to get lots of the shots you're looking to get. The perfect walking around lens for my D7000.

trarmstrong

Sigma 17-70 Used on ebay for around $325.... rent a wide-angle zoom when I need it (travelling this summer to disney).

Nikon 35mm prime.

Thats what I am looking at getting...what you all think?

fotojack

Once you get the 18-105, the 18-55 becomes redundant. Besides, in my humble opinion, I find the 18-105 to be a better lens anyway. More versatile.

funfortehfun

I can add to that list: Single digit models......e.g. D3, D4, etc. are pro
Two digit models.........e.g. D40, D50, D60, D70, etc are beginner
Three digit models......e.g. D200, D300, D700, etc. are semi pro
Four digit models........e.g, D3000, D5000, etc. are advanced beginner

As told to me by a Nikon rep a couple of years ago.

So D90 is the lowest beginner!? D:
I thought it was:
DXXXX or DXX - beginner, DX frame
D3XXX or D40, D50 - low beginner, D3XXX models are replacements for D40, D50
D5XXX or D60, D70 - medium beginner, D5XXX models are replacements for D60, D70
D7XXX or D80, D90 - high beginner, D7000 and upcoming D7XXX models are replacements for D80, D90
DXXX - semi-pro, FX frame
D1, D2, D3, D4 and all variants - professional, FX frame

AC016

D70, D80, D90 are no way a beginners camera! If that were the case, then the D7000 would fall in the same catergory - D7000 was D90 replacement. These cameras are advanced consumer models. Entry level or beginner are D40 and the D3xxx. A D200 is a pro camera, but in a compact body.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Having started with a D70 and moving to a D300, I would personally classify the D70 as a beginner camera. IMHO any camera that has "scene" mode falls into that category.

You may also want to look at this Nikon DSLR Timeline which does a nice job of classification.

AC016

Having started with a D70 and moving to a D300, I would personally classify the D70 as a beginner camera. IMHO any camera that has "scene" mode falls into that category.

You may also want to look at this Nikon DSLR Timeline which does a nice job of classification.

Yes and the link states that the D70 is an advanced consumer camera. I have a D80 and by no means is it a beginners camera. ;)