Nikon 85mm 1.8g, "Best 85mm in Database"

Dave_W

The Dude
re: Nikon 85mm 1.8g, "Best 85mm in Database"

Awesome!! I'm not surprised to hear this, it's an amazing lens. Great to see others besides myself also appreciate find it to be superb.

stmv

Impressive,,

Also explains why soon the 85 1.8D AF will soon be not available.. but...

the 85 1.8 D is on sale now for 459 dollars from around 600, this is a bargain price, about
40 dollars less than the G..

why D you say versus G...

well.. The D is built tougher, was made in Japan (very consistant quality on this lens)

9 bladed aperature that produces wonderful starburst.. (I still like star bursts). and just
about as sharp..

I am glad that Nikon has beat the sharpness of the D (slightly),, less glad they gone with of the 7 blades (to save money), and not as tough.. but still,, a solid winner,,

on the otherhand, for those that one the old version,, BETTER HURRY, I wager that they will be all sold out very very soon,,,

I use my 85 D most of the time at this range, and when I reall really want the creamy bokeh, I used an ancient 85 mm 1.4 AIS (such a beautiful lens).

Last edited:

gqtuazon

Gear Head

Definitely a good price and performance for a f1.8 product line. I have the Sigma 85mm f1.4 HSM already, so there was no need to get the f1.8G version but if I didn't have this lens already, I will surely get the Nikon 85mm f1.8G. Nikon wins in corner sharpness but in real world use, can't really see the difference unless you pixel peep.

zutty

I just bought one and am awaiting delivery. Looking forward to using it!

TedG954

When I was researching before buying mine, I believe DXO ranked the 85/1.8G overall #15 on the D800. Not bad for a less than $500 lens. I'm glad I have mine.

zutty

I just got mine and am very happy with the performance in general. It's true that the D version is built a little tougher, but you can't ask for more at this price.