Tripod

Robert Mitchell

What do you plan on supporting and what will you be using it for? $50 is very inexpensive for a tripod and won't get you much in the way of support and stability. Speaking from experience, I can also tell you that parts fail easily and often on cheap tripods and having an expensive camera with an expensive lens on a $50 tripod isn't a great idea.

Personally, I wouldn't use a $50 tripod for a DSLR, but that's just me. :)

Scott Murray

I agree, look at what it is holding up and place an insurance on that. A $50 tripod would never hold my 80 - 400mmVR Lens which cost $2000ish let alone a camera.

fotojack

Cheap tripods are for cheap cameras. Cheap tripods are for cheap point and shoot cameras. If you have a DSLR camera and a decent lens, you DON'T want a cheap tripod! But.........it's your gear. You decide what it's worth to you.

Dave_W

The Dude
I agree with everything people have said above, however, if you don't mind buying used, slightly heavy aluminum tripod take a look at Craigslist. You can find some of the older and very strong tripods for around $50 to $80. You would be surprised what people throw out just because it's not carbon-fiber and ultra light weight.

Scott Murray

I own a Manfrotto 190CX3 and it does me well. Over your price range, but will give you something to look at.

Last edited by a moderator:

fotojack

I agree with everything people have said above, however, if you don't mind buying used, slightly heavy aluminum tripod take a look at Craigslist. You can find some of the older and very strong tripods for around $50 to $80. You would be surprised what people throw out just because it's not carbon-fiber and ultra light weight.

I totally agree, Dave. My definition of 'cheap' is flimsy and poorly made. It's not the same as 'inexpensive'. :) I have a $300 Manfrotto tripod that I picked up for $75 2 years ago.

stmv

I use Manfrotto tripods,, good bang for the buck,, I have seen also some gems Aluminum tripods... like another post. pretty nice.

AC016

As the old saying goes, "you get what you pay for." Here is an informative, yet humorous, video on cheap vs expensive tripods:

Robert Mitchell

Gitzo and Manfrotto are top notch. There are others such as Benro and Feisol. Some of the prices are insanely high just for the legs. Then, add in a good ball or fluid head and the number can double or more.

Yo do get what you pay for and that's why so many people choose to skip the cheap tripods and go for something nicer from the start. There's nothing worse than buying twice because you sacrificed quality on your first purchase.

If you don't specifically need a tripod you can save a good deal of money by buying a monopod but that all depends on how and where you'll be using the pod.

I'm currently using a Manfrotto tripod and Manfrotto ball head. It wasn't cheap but I'm very happy.

I have used the manfrotto tripod for years but the most important thing is the head ...the Manfrotto 222 head is the best you will ever get ..forget pan tilt and wobbly locking balls ...this one is perfection

Dave_W

The Dude
I used a Manfrotto 3029 for years and liked it until I wanted to start taking star photos and realized how limited that head was. I now use a Manfrotto Magnesium ball head and love it. It's incredibly versatile, especially when doing macro and star photography.

Robert Mitchell

You certainly don't want wobbly ball heads but a good ball head gives you the greatest flexibility. I don't know any photographers using DSLR's on tripods that are not using a ball head. Once again, ball heads can be cheap and crap or more expensive and brilliant. If you've never experienced a killer ball head then you really should.

TedG954

I have this tripod and it is sturdy and well made. I replaced the ballhead assembly with a Smith Victor BH8. This ballhead is excellent for supporting a heavier camera like a D700 with a telephoto. I've used mine with both a D700 and now with my D800. The weight rating is 40 pounds and it is reasonably priced (actually, inexpensive).

Smith Victor BH8 Metal Alloy Ball Head, 40 lbs Capacity 700355

It may not be as pretty as some of the other brand names, but it certainly performs.

fotojack

I'll stick with my Manfrotto older style 055 tripod with the Manfrotto 496RC2 ball head. Holds all the weight I can load on it. Rock solid in all situations.

DSC_1530.jpg