How to capture a fast moving subject with no blur? Thanks

IanUK

I am new to owning a DSLR camera and have the D3200 with the supplied lens 18-55mm.
I would like to take sharp pictures of my dog when he is running. Many of the pictures I take are blurred, can you tell me the best setting I can use please.
The Auto setting doesn't always get it right.

Thanks
Ian

IanUK

That's a good idea, i'll find an example. I save the pictures as jpeg's, will this format retain the exif information?
I did try Auto but still got blurred results. Which setting on the selector wheel would be best, I've tried experimenting but I wasn't getting any conclusive results.
I'll find a good example of a blurred picture and post it up.
Cheers
Ian

IanUK

Here is a good example of the blur. The dog is moving & I would have liked to get a nice clear freeze frame of him.
Snow Dog Jan2013 (21).JPG

Scott Murray

Ian have you read the manual? It will tell you what mode to use when. A = Aperture which is good for static or slow moving objects. S = Shutter which is great for sports or what setting that you need to set a desired shutter speed. ISO for sports means >400 ISO imho. You can get motion blur which acts favourably with the subject when you experiment. Which is what I suggest. Digital is very free so play around with your settings, see what you get. Practice does make perfect and it can be fun.

IanUK

I can't remember if I used the flash, possibly not. I have read the booklet but I'm still finding my way. I've booked into an evening class to help me understand how to use a DSLR.

Thanks for your time this morning ... from a frosty UK.
Cheers
Ian

Scott Murray

Its evening here in Aus ;). And I would say up ISO to atleast 400 > 800 shutter speed should also be double that of your lens. roughly. Actually make that around 1500 and you should be close.

IanUK

Thanks, I'm not sure what 'double that of your lens' means, but as I said I'm new. Should I try a shutter speed of 400, while setting the selection wheel to 'S'?
I hope it's not too hot 'down under' at the moment.
Ian

Scott Murray

Set ISO to 400, and Shutter of atleast 1000. On S mode. See how that goes. You may need to increase the Shutter speed depending on available light etc.

Is the wet season where I am so monsoonal troughs and steady temps are great.

Scott Murray

Ian just experiment and adjust settings as you see is needed, the more you get out and see what the settings do the more you can appreciate everything ;)

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Welcome to the forum Ian,

I really hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I think you will have to learn a few things before getting the results you would like from your camera's settings. There is no magic setting for any situation, and photography basics play a major role in quality pictures.

I would recommend that you read and study your camera's user manual and find a few basic photography books to learn how image capture works. There is a question of light that could be compared to a liquid. You need to understand that the shutter speed controls how long the light gets in the box and the aperture controls how fast the light gets in. Think about filling a bucket of water, it all depends on the size of the bucket, the pressure and how you open the faucet. The iso would be the size of the bucket, larger iso meaning smaller bucket (need less time to be filled). Aperture allows the light to get in faster (smaller f number) or slower (bigger f number). Then there is the unchangeable, how much light is there? Sometimes there is just not enough to get the shutter speed and aperture you would like to get the results wanted.

Some people think that by just getting a better camera they can take pics in the almost complete darkness (babies in cribs for example). It just does not work that way. There is no magic in photography. It just need light, sometimes lots of it. And this, only experience will teach.

So, my suggestion is, keep at it, read all you can and practice. Only practice will teach you how things work. If you only try one setting without understanding why it works, you will not be able to get better. Situations change and you will need to work with a lot of different settings.

Enjoy your Nikon!