hi everyone. noob with a dilemma.

weekender

Hi all, looking for some advice. I always wanted a dslr could never really justify spending the money on one just for a hobby. So a few months ago
A friend of mine gave me his nikon d300 with a 18-200mm lens.
I have been using here and there and i feel i just don't fully understand how to properly use it or take advantage of its features.
My pictures come out blurry,dark, etc...
My girlfriend has a canon t3i and her pictures come out better than mine 9/10 times with very minimal effort.

I respect the profession/art of photography, but i'm looking for something simple
So i decided that a camera similar to hers would suit my needs.
I'm looking for something that can take "good" pictures with minimal user knowledge or input. I have decided to sell it while it still has some value and get the nikon d5200. Any thoughts on this?
How much could a used d300 go for? It has 3,xxx actuations

Thanks in advance!

nikonpup

it's like new, put it in auto, take pictures, read the manual and enjoy. U can not get any simpler than "auto" it's a point and shoot with a very nice lens.

2. Give your girlfriend your camera and u take hers.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Hi Weekender and welcome to the forum.

Your D300 is still a very good camera particularly for sports and/or wildlife use. There are many things that affects an image if you don't know how aperture, shutter speed, ISO and auto focus settings. I know if I use that camera, I can capture great images with it.

To help improve your experience, always read your owners manual to learn how to adjust the controls and settings.

http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/dslr/D300_en.pdf

For a slightly easier tutorial, try the link below.

Nikon Imaging | Global Site | Digitutor

For indoors, you will need a flash to improve the lighting especially with that lens since it goes up to f5.6 once you zoom in. Indoors, try M mode, 1/60, Auto ISO on, minimum sensitivity ISO 100 and Max sensitivity to ISO 1600. AF settings in Auto (51 points).

Let us know how that works for you.

fotojack

What??? A buddy GIVES you a D300, and you want to sell it??? Tell you what.....send it to me, and I'll send you a D40. Much easier to use, and I promise you it will take great pictures for you, as long as you keep it in Auto Mode!

Sambr

Hi all, looking for some advice. I always wanted a dslr could never really justify spending the money on one just for a hobby. So a few months ago
I have been using here and there and i feel i just don't fully understand how to properly use it or take advantage of its features.
My girlfriend has a canon t3i and her pictures come out better than mine 9/10 times with very minimal effort.

I respect the profession/art of photography, but i'm looking for something simple
I'm looking for something that can take "good" pictures with minimal user knowledge or input. I have decided to sell it while it still has some value and get the nikon d5200. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance!
I just sold mine for $700.00 body only it had 28,000 actuation's and in mint condition.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
What??? A buddy GIVES you a D300, and you want to sell it??? Tell you what.....send it to me, and I'll send you a D40. Much easier to use, and I promise you it will take great pictures for you, as long as you keep it in Auto Mode!

D300 is Jack's dream camera. :D

weekender

Thanks for the replies. I mean no disrespect to the camera at all, i was just thinking it might be to advanced for my hands. I tried only using program mode, but still only about 20% of my photos actually come out better than using a simple point & shoot.
Do you have any standard recommendations for settings that i can use?

And whats so good about this model compared to a d5100 or the new d5200?

I appreciate the time for reading.

Scott Murray

Thanks in advance!

Ok Blurry / Dark / etc is bad exposure / wrong setting / etc. Now if you could be more detailed with your explanation and maybe provide photos with EXIF Data we could help you better.

But honestly we are getting a lot of single posters here asking simple questions? Why? Can they not google it? I dont know! All I know is that we require more data as like a Doctor requires tests and results from those tests to give a diagnosis.

weekender

Ok Blurry / Dark / etc is bad exposure / wrong setting / etc. Now if you could be more detailed with your explanation and maybe provide photos with EXIF Data we could help you better.

But honestly we are getting a lot of single posters here asking simple questions? Why? Can they not google it? I dont know! All I know is that we require more data as like a Doctor requires tests and results from those tests to give a diagnosis.

Fair enough. I will look through some photos and post the data. However, i would still like to know why this may be better to use than d5100/5200.
Since this is just a hobby for me having the wheel with
Different shooting modes seems like a good idea.
I dont think I would be able to remember what kind of settings i need to input for a specific type of shot with this d300.

Last edited:

Denebeau

It is my understanding that the 5100/5200 are more advanced even than the 300. Granted, I am not familiar with the 300, I have a D50. But, then I also shoot in manual mode or a priority setting when I'm shooting. (btw the 5100 is my dream camera....oh I drool!)
If it's a hobby why not go get Nikon's version of a point and shoot?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
it's like new, put it in auto, take pictures, read the manual and enjoy. U can not get any simpler than "auto" it's a point and shoot with a very nice lens.

2. Give your girlfriend your camera and u take hers.

Not sure, but I don't think there is an "auto" mode on the D300 Ron.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Fair enough. I will look through some photos and post the data. However, i would still like to know why this may be better to use than d5100/5200.
Since this is just a hobby for me having the wheel with
Different shooting modes seems like a good idea.
I dont think I would be able to remember what kind of settings i need to input for a specific type of shot with this d300.

It's not necessary better to use, but has more advanced setting possibilities.

Driving a formula one car might not be as comfortable than a Camry.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Try this for indoor use: M mode, 1/50, f3.5 (widest FL @ 18mm), Auto ISO up to ISO 1600 (min ISO sensitivity to ISO 100 - max 1,600) and see how your image looks with just regular lighting. Try a pop up flash if needed. You need to manually push the release button to activate the pop-up flash since it doesn't automatically goes on in Program mode like a point and shoot.

On your AF menu, use focus priority and your lens should be set to "A" not M. This is your homework! ;)

weekender

Try this for indoor use: M mode, 1/50, f3.5 (widest FL @ 18mm), Auto ISO up to ISO 1600 (min ISO sensitivity to ISO 100 - max 1,600) and see how your image looks with just regular lighting. Try a pop up flash if needed. You need to manually push the release button to activate the pop-up flash since it doesn't automatically goes on in Program mode like a point and shoot.

On your AF menu, use focus priority and your lens should be set to "A" not M. This is your homework! ;)

Thanks for the settings. I will give them a try as soon as possible!

tonyr_d3000

When I got a d3000 one of my first purchases was the Digital Field Guide to D3000. They make one for the D300 as well. Written in a way that is easy to understand and opens up a whole new world with the camera. Also, if you know specific things you want to do with the D300 or just gee whiz questions, YouTube is your friend.

NikonGajo

Hi Weekender,
Those are the exact 2 bodies I own, the 5100 and the D300. Let me assure you that most people that enjoy photography would pick the D300 as it is basically a Professional Camera but with a Cropped sensor (DX). Having said that, it's technology is 5, 6 years old and the D5100 is a much newer as far as technology is concerned (better image quality, greater color dept, better EV...etc) but.....The D300 still has settings/options that are superior to many new DX cameras on the market, so plenty capable for a wide range of photographers......
My advice is try to learn the basics (aperture, shutter speed, ISO) and you will soon find that the D300 possibilities are endless for a newbie. A good way to start for a newbie with 2 cameras available is............take a picture in Auto with the other camera(record the setting the camera picked) and try setting your D300 to the same values....and use them as a base to try to improve your shots....it helped me in the beginning....hope that helps. Happy shooting!!!