fEE Error - Why?

funfortehfun

Hey guys, I'm a new one to this forum, just wanted to say hi first! :D

Anyways, currently I'm using a D90 with an AF-D Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8 lens. It's pretty good, but my gripe with this lens is that when used with any aperture other than f/32, the camera gives the fEE error. Is this because it's not a DX lens, or something else?

Thanks,
~fftf

funfortehfun

Yeah, I wish it wouldn't do that. :(
I am getting a newer lens soon for my birthday however (35mm f/1.8G DX) so that should give me some freedom with the aperture.

pedroj

Yeah, I wish it wouldn't do that. :(
I am getting a newer lens soon for my birthday however (35mm f/1.8G DX) so that should give me some freedom with the aperture.

Welcome..

What do you mean by this...If you do what disciplerocks says you have control over your aperture by setting it "in camera"...

funfortehfun

Welcome..

What do you mean by this...If you do what disciplerocks says you have control over your aperture by setting it "in camera"...

Wait...I can control it in-camera!? :facepalm

@fotojack Thanks for the welcome! And, I actually intended for my username to be slightly spelled wrong. :D

sunwharf

Yes, lock the aperture on the highest setting (f32 or whatever it is) on the AF D lens and control with the camera. This is exactly how the DX G lens aperture has to be controlled anyway. The AF D aperture ring is there for use on cameras that don't have aperture control built in, such as older manual focus cameras.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

disciplerocks

Wait...I can control it in-camera!? :facepalm

Its ok. It happens to all of us
beer.gif

funfortehfun

Thanks, liked your post XD
Even though the 60mm I'm using right now is pretty good, I can't wait until I get my hands on a 35mm DX :D

The aperture-priority setting is my favorite setting now, really helps to change the DOF and not get shaky pictures when the camera decides f/32 is a good idea o_O
DSC_0011.JPG
Took a picture a few moments ago, this one turned out OK.

Last edited:
I know this is an older post so I hope someone reads it. I do understand that you have to lock the aperture ring in at f22 in order to use older lenses (about to buy a 35-70 2.8) on a D90. Then I've read that you use the camera dial to then control the aperture. This may sound stupid but does that mean the camera will actually open the lens all the way to 2.8 to let more light in if I use the camera dial even though the lens aperture ring itself is locked?

Thanks

SteveH

I know this is an older post so I hope someone reads it. I do understand that you have to lock the aperture ring in at f22 in order to use older lenses (about to buy a 35-70 2.8) on a D90. Then I've read that you use the camera dial to then control the aperture. This may sound stupid but does that mean the camera will actually open the lens all the way to 2.8 to let more light in if I use the camera dial even though the lens aperture ring itself is locked?

Thanks

Yes, you are spot on - The aperture ring was for older cameras that didn't have aperture controls, which all new models do. So just set the lens ring to the highest setting, and use your camera controls to set the aperture you want... The camera will then set the lens correctly.

480sparky

FYI: The lens does not need to be locked at minimum aperture. It will still work without being locked.

The lock switch is purely mechanical, and has no electrical contacts. It is there simply to prevent the aperture ring from being moved out of minimum aperture.

skene

FYI: The lens does not need to be locked at minimum aperture. It will still work without being locked.

The lock switch is purely mechanical, and has no electrical contacts. It is there simply to prevent the aperture ring from being moved out of minimum aperture.

While it does not need to be locked in at F22 or whichever the highest number. It's easier to state "locking" it into the smallest aperture vs saying it could still be used, but the aperture needs to be placed onto x aperture to work. You cannot play with those lenses otherwise in any mode but manual without doing so.