upgrading

dorobo18jp

Hello all i am new to this forum. I have the d3100 it is my 1st camera. Im taking about 10000 shots per month and i am seeing myself being pulled to nature animals and acting sports shots and night time photography. Also practicing with my model friends. I was thinking to upgrade my camera but not to break the bank. I basically was an all in one package. low to high iso. Fast frame rate and shutter speed. dependable. and little to no shutter lag. I have been noticing my photos are getting better with the 3100 but seems they are not exactally what i want. So i was thinking to upgrade. please your suggestions would help me alot.

Thanks,
Eddy

Rick M

will the d7000 give me the high image quality abd not lag taking action photos in different enviromental conditions?

Yes, more so than the D3100, but you shouldn't have much shutter lag on the D3100. The D7000 is more of a "prosumer" body. As far as enviromental conditions, it depends, you may want a pro body which is totally weather sealed, depends on your budget.

Last edited:

Johnathan Aulabaugh

As Rick said the D7k is a prosumer camera or "enthusiast" camera but like any camera that cost less than $3000. I do not know what the buffer is on the D3100 but in RAW uncompressed I can shoot about 8 frames before it begins to lag. that number changes quite a bit when shooting JPEG which I rarely do. The D7k is also weather sealed BUT from what I have been told it is not as good of a seal as the pro bodies. I generally find cover or slip on my cheap rain cover if it begins to get nasty out. A Semi Pro or Pro body will have the weather seal you are looking for but for any type of speed you will be looking at older models or extremely expensive models. The D300/s, D700, D800, and anything that says D3 or D4 is weather sealed.

Johnathan Aulabaugh

The D7000 is the best DX camera ever made by Nikon.
In fact, it is one of the best cameras ever made. Period.
Go for it.

Great camera = yes, One of the best ever? No even close. there are several cameras made years ago that still run head and shoulders around the D7000. It is a great camera and I love mine but I have also played with everything in the D3 range and even a d2x was an amazing camera. Both the D300/s and the D700 run circles around the D7k and that's just in this brand. sony. pentax, and canon all make cameras just a good if not better than the D7k and thats not even getting into medium format cameras that do amazing things that the D7k is incapable of.

Now dont get me wrong I love my D7k but given a choice I would still pick up a D300s for the speed, AF, and weather seal.