Nikon newest wide!

TedG954

This is interesting, if it has better IQ than it's predecessor, I'll have to consider it against the 16-35. I wish it had been an 18 or 20mm 1.8g prime!

Nikon Rumors

I don't understand. My 18-35 looks just like that one (later realizing they probably don't have a pic of the new lens).

I wonder what the difference is. My lens takes nice quality photos.

Last edited:

Rick M

I think it's just an update for a newer consumer grade UW option (like the 24-85 vr you just got is an update to an older 24-85). These newer additions tend to be lighter and a bit sharper while holding the cost down. The next option up is the f4, which is like $1250. This will attract some of the new mass of D600 owners.

TedG954

I think it's just an update for a newer consumer grade UW option (like the 24-85 vr you just got is an update to an older 24-85). These newer additions tend to be lighter and a bit sharper while holding the cost down. The next option up is the f4, which is like $1250. This will attract some of the new mass of D600 owners.

Now that would make sense to me. A straight f/2.8 or f/4 would be quite a lens, and I can just imagine the price tag.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I don't understand. My 18-35 looks just like that one (later realizing they probably don't have a pic of the new lens).

I wonder what the difference is. My lens takes nice quality photos.

The Nikon 18-35mm is an ok lens but has a lot of distortion and must be stopped down to get a decent sharper image unlike the newer optics which is already sharp wide open, has better flare resistance and VRII.

Edit: I must have confused the topic. I thought it was 18-35mm vs 16-35mm f4 VRII.

I'll be attending the CP+ show anyway. Hopefully they'll allow us to test the lens with our cameras.

Last edited:

BackdoorArts

That link is popping up 404 for me, but here's one that isn't. At just a tad over 1/3 the price of the 14-24, I have to say that I will be watching closely to see what the IQ on this is. I'm very impressed with the quality, bang for the buck or otherwise, of the 24-85mm, and while I could wish for a couple more millimeters of wide, for the price this could be a great walkaround for me. And it won't break the bank. Any ideas on ship dates?

Last edited:

Rick M

Looks and sounds good. Will be nice to see some full size images. If the IQ is there I'll get this to get me by until a good UW prime comes out. Nikon has been comming out with some good prosumer glass lately, lets hope this continues that trend!

§am

I just go to it from a link on Nikon's FB page status - works fine!
Not that I keep going back to read it mind you :p

Just hope I can have a play with one in March :D

stmv

well, now has two ED lens,, and not one, and claims to be a complete redesign,, looks a lot like the old, but maybe optically will shine.. time will tell..

If it does shine optically, then it might be a really sweet lens for price. No VR,, which is ok with me.

Rick M

I was taking a look at the MTF charts for all the current nikon UW zooms. As expected, the 14-24 2.8 is king. It is interesting between the new 18-35 and the 16-35 f4. They both do very well at center sharpness. From the center you have a trade-off, The 16-35 is superior at 15mm from center, then falls off significantly at the edges/corners. The new 18-35 does not do as well off center, but is superior to the f4 at the edge and corners.