What exactly happens when raw files overflow on SD card...

eurotrash

The question is a bit more convoluted than you think..

Let's give an example to make it easier to understand.
Let's say you're shooting a surfer in Hawaii and you're shooting RAW on your first memory card and jpg fine on your second. Both cards are 8GB and you shoot continuous bursts for like, an hour and a half or something.

You fill up the first card first, obviously because the files are huge. Does the camera keep shooting jpgs to fill the remainder of the second card, or does it shoot both, keeping them on the second card together? Or, does it ask you what you wish to do? Haha, I'm just curious.

stmv

laughs,,, do an experiment, and tell us. I don't split my cards that way,, just use dual cards, both raw/jpeg, and when one card fills, the other goes, but, first thing,, keep an eye out for 32 Gig card sells, I have two cards of 32G,,, frankly, hard to even fill up the first card, nevermind overflowing (as long as you empty the card after every shoot).

snaphappy

Ok well I'm super new (my nikon only 8days old) but I had this happen to me a couple days ago (yes I take that many pics). I had my camera set as you say and couldn't believe when both 8GB cards filled. My camera flashed Full and no more pics could be taken. I've changed settings now so that my second card is my backup and just shoot jpeg because I'm a newbie and Snaphappy :) So I'd say get bigger cards

nickt

The question is a bit more convoluted than you think..
You fill up the first card first, obviously because the files are huge. Does the camera keep shooting jpgs to fill the remainder of the second card, or does it shoot both, keeping them on the second card together? Or, does it ask you what you wish to do? Haha, I'm just curious.

I just happen to have a tiny 32mb card here and quickly tested this out. I tried it in both the raw slot and jpg. Whichever card fills up first will give you a 'full' message and shut you down cold. The jpg slot 2 card can be nearly empty, but you will still be shut down as 'full'. The message doesn't say which card or give you any options.

nickt

where u using one or two cards?
Two cards. But your question made me wonder what if...
So I popped out the full card. Then I was able to continue shooting and get raw+jpg on the one card even though the camera is set to raw card 1 and jpg card 2.

stmv

Two cards. But your question made me wonder what if...
So I popped out the full card. Then I was able to continue shooting and get raw+jpg on the one card even though the camera is set to raw card 1 and jpg card 2.

and? your results ?

nickt

and? your results ?
Not sure what you mean. That was my result: I was able to continue shooting and get raw+jpg on the one card even though the camera is set to raw card 1 and jpg card 2.
So to clarify, two cards, raw 1, jpg 2, if either card gets full, you get shut down. Eject the full card and you can continue shooting and both raw and jpg go to the sole card even though the camera is set to split raw card 1, jpg card 2.

eurotrash

Not sure what you mean. That was my result: I was able to continue shooting and get raw+jpg on the one card even though the camera is set to raw card 1 and jpg card 2.
So to clarify, two cards, raw 1, jpg 2, if either card gets full, you get shut down. Eject the full card and you can continue shooting and both raw and jpg go to the sole card even though the camera is set to split raw card 1, jpg card 2.

Oh, that's crazy. Good to know. I've never had this issue I was just curious as to what would theoretically happen in such a situation. I guess if you're going to shoot raw plus jpg, your primary card should be large enough to cover whatever shooting you do. Thanks for testing it! I would but am away from my camera for awhile.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

BackdoorArts

You've basically got the answers in here, but to summarize, the camera will only operate in the 2 card mode you list. So if you're set to shoot both RAW and JPEG with the file types split it will stop when one card is full. Your option at that point is to change the slot mode from "RAW to Slot1 PEG to Slot2" to "Slot1 => Slot2 Overflow", or simply remove the full card and the camera will operate in single card mode with everything going there.

eurotrash

These are the thing I contemplate when I'm not shooting...halp me, haha! One more day until I can go out and shoot again

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD