teleconverter

Bukitimah

Hi, I have asked this in many forums if this combination is worthwhile to consider. I have 2 sides each stating their own experiences.

I decided I show buy the teleconverter and try it out to find out myself. I would like to share the photo taken with and without the teleconverter using the same settings. Hopefully readers can do your own judgement.

Camera settings remains the same and on tripod using remote shutter control

1) Without teleconverter

4b0588d.jpg

df54fc2.jpg

with teleconverter

d70b817.jpg

434da86.jpg

Please give your comments and feedback. Appreciate any advice to improve also.

AC016

From what i can see, the picture with the TC is a bit soft. Can you autofocus with your TC? It seems that for the price you paid for the TC, it is not really worth it, since you could have just cropped the first picture. Wait a minute............... When you are talking about a teleconverter, are you speaking of the Raynox DCR 250 you have listed? If so, this is not a true teleconverter. This is a macro conversion lens that you put on the front of your lens. From Raynox: "DCR-250 Super Macro lens obtains the maximum macro magnification power when set at the most telephoto position of zoom lens. The lens is made of high index optical glass elements which produce rich and razor sharp image." If this is not the case, please tell us what TC you are using. Thanks

Bukitimah

From what i can see, the picture with the TC is a bit soft. Can you autofocus with your TC? It seems that for the price you paid for the TC, it is not really worth it, since you could have just cropped the first picture. Wait a minute............... When you are talking about a teleconverter, are you speaking of the Raynox DCR 250 you have listed? If so, this is not a true teleconverter. This is a macro conversion lens that you put on the front of your lens. From Raynox: "DCR-250 Super Macro lens obtains the maximum macro magnification power when set at the most telephoto position of zoom lens. The lens is made of high index optical glass elements which produce rich and razor sharp image." If this is not the case, please tell us what TC you are using. Thanks

Sorry for not being clear. No, I am using the Kenko 1.4 teleconverter not the Raynox which is for macro. I love the Raynox, it works great. That I can confirmed and would recommend.

The teleconverter can auto focus and it works normal as if there is no converter attached. Now it is more if it helps in anyway. For me, it does bring the subject nearer and I can see it clearer. (by 1.4 times I suppose?)

Pierro

Since we dont know which lens you mounted the TC with, I can only assume its the 70-300. You aren't going to get any kind of quality shot using any TC on such a slow lens , i'm afraid.

I'd forget that Kenko 1.4 until you get a decent fast lens. The down side is that decent fast lenses cost a lot of coinage, but the quality of build / glass / and fast ap. means they tend to take TC's quite well. Your 70-300 was not built to take a TC as its been been built down to a price for the consumer market

Bukitimah

Since we dont know which lens you mounted the TC with, I can only assume its the 70-300. You aren't going to get any kind of quality shot using any TC on such a slow lens , i'm afraid.

I'd forget that Kenko 1.4 until you get a decent fast lens. The down side is that decent fast lenses cost a lot of coinage, but the quality of build / glass / and fast ap. means they tend to take TC's quite well. Your 70-300 was not built to take a TC as its been been built down to a price for the consumer market

Dear Pierro, Thank you for your response. Adding the TC to my 70-300 is going to slow down the AF is given and I can accept that. Without the TC, the 70-300 itself is also slow under low light.

As a matter of fact, under good light, with the TC, AF is acceptable. However, the IQ isn't much better with the TC than cropping the image without TC. In my opinion, the TC only helps to give the shooter a clearer image for subject slightly further. This way, I know when is the best shot rather than just multiple shots.

My conclusion, no need for TC if you are using the 70-300.

STM

Teleconverters work by spreading out the image from the exit of the lens. When they do this, resolving power is going to be lost, it is a physical fact of life. They will of course lessen your depth of field as well and you lose at least 1 f/stop. If you have a slow lens to begin with, now you have an even slower lens. The better ones degrade the image less but are still not as good as a prime lens of the same focal length as your lens and the TC. Nikon's TC-e teleconverters are very good but the are also as or even more expensive than many lenses.

I have both the TC-14B and TC-300 for AIS Nikkors and they do come in very handy with my 300mm and 600mm Nikkors but like I said, they are rather expensive for what they are.

Last edited:

Pierro

Yup, if you were shooting at f8
If you were using a TC 2 at max ap you would effectively be stopping down to f11 with the 70-300, as max ap is f5.6. Thats a 2 stop loss. If you were already shooting at f8, then yes the loss would effectively be f16