LCD Screen Protectors

BackdoorArts

The clear plastic protector over the LCD screen on the back of the camera does a great job protecting it, but after a while it will get scratched - because it's doing its job. Nikon says it's meant to be removed while shooting and replaced while transporting the camera, but I find I'm more apt to scratch it with the camera over my shoulder walking through the woods to get a shot. And I don't want to scratch the LCD.

On my D7000 I replaced it with a Vello optical glass protector that fits over top with some adhesive. It works great, and when it eventually gets scratched to the extent that it prevents me from seeing what I need I spend another $15 and replace it. I wanted to get the same thing for the D600, and B&H had one. It was labeled for the D600, D800 & D4 but when I got it yesterday I was disappointed to find that, unlike the one I got for the D7000, it did not go edge to edge on the screen, and was actually smaller than the LCD screen itself. The website touts it for all three cameras, but the package says D800/800E. I've made arrangements with B&H for a return, and will be speaking with someone there today to let them know specifically why it's being returned and that it doesn't fit the product they're advertising it for.

I'm posting here so that anyone interested can avoid this problem, and I'd like to know from folks here if they've found a similar product that actually fits?

Rick M

I haven't bought one yet, will be interested in everyone's input. Thanks for the head's up Jake, I probably would have bought it from B&H.

BackdoorArts

I did the request for return thing online with them last night but there was no way to input a specific reason for it. I wrote a review for both the glass and acrylic versions to be posted that requested they pull the mention of the D600 from the product and I'll call them today. A bit of a drag because these are great protectors otherwise. I did a quick search for other available options and found only other stories about similar experiences with other products. I guess many felt that since the screens were the same size (D600/800) that they really were the same size, but apparently not. The recommendation was always the same, "Wait for a D600 specific version".

BackdoorArts

Just got off the phone with the folks at B&H and the guy promised to make the web department aware of the issue. When I asked if he could issue me a prepaid UPS invoice to return them since I felt it was not proper to ask me to pay to ship back an item that was inappropriately labeled on their website he told me that the work to do so was greater than the cost of the items, so I was free to keep them and they would issue a complete refund. How 'bout that?!

BackdoorArts

One more quick, feeling a little stupid, update. I got two of these from B&H, a glass and an acrylic, and it seems that the acrylic is bigger than that glass. I didn't notice this yesterday and probably should have checked them both. Anyway, the acrylic is just a "hair" small, but will work in a pinch. Just thought I'd let you know. I'm going to try this one and see how it works. I have a glass version on the D7000 and it's been great. Curious to see if the less expensive version scratches more easily.

stmv

I keep the protector on 100% of the time, I don't find a need to take it off, and mine stay pretty good for a few years, and then,,, I just buy a OEM replacement Part,, Over the years, have only had to buy 3, which is a small cost.

I have once broken the tempered glass even with the protector, I had it in my hiking pack, with a travel tripod, and the handle of the tripod was pressed against the plastic shield, and enough pressure to fracture the glass. It still worked, but after a couple of weeks, I had it fixed (not that expensive, like 120 dollars). but I now strap my tripod on the back loop of the pack.

I will say,, I do like the swivel of the 5100,,,, kinda cool to be able to store the camera with the screen turned inward,, one less worry. I wonder if the D900 will have that feature? you do loose area for the buttons, which I think is the major reason why the higher end cameras might not have swivel screens even in the future.

BackdoorArts

If you're talking about the snap-on clear plastic one, I've done that too. But I found in bright environments it made the screen hard to see, and that's when I learned it wasn't designed to be used during the photography process but only as a protector. It obviously can be used, but as I said there are times when it makes seeing what you need to see much more difficult. Anything that would have cracked it with the original protector will likely crack it with this one, but then again they seem to be fairly thick and may bolster the strength of the screen a little better as they may not give as much on a single point impact? I have no intention on testing this. LOL