Sigma 50mm 1.4 HSM VS Nikkor 50mm 1.4G?

Corey @ Faymus Media

[SUP]So I found a Sigma 50mm 1.4 HSM for $325, I also found a Nikkor 50mm 1.4g for the same price.

I have used the Sigma 85mm 1.4 HSM on my old canon 7D and focus was decent and pretty good images. I used the 50mm 1.4g on my rental D800 and it seems a bit soft at 1.4 and focus was decent as well.

I have never used the Sigma 50mm tho, what lens would be a better choice? Kai over @ DigitalRev TV had a review that says the Sigma is a tad bit better. However I just want some "nikonites" opinions LOL

So what do you guys think?
[/SUP]

Robert Mitchell

I was never a fan of any of the Nikon 50mm f/1.4 lenses. They just don't perform well wide open and sometimes not until f/2.2 or so just to get acceptable contrast and sharpness. For the short time that I did own the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 I found it to be much better and sharper and the only thing that wasn't quite as good was some of the out of focus rendering. Not quite as smooth as the Nikon but I felt the tradeoff was worthwhile because I could actually shoot the Sigma at f/1.4 or where I really like to be on a 50mm, which is around f/2.

Corey @ Faymus Media

I was never a fan of any of the Nikon 50mm f/1.4 lenses. They just don't perform well wide open and sometimes not until f/2.2 or so just to get acceptable contrast and sharpness. For the short time that I did own the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 I found it to be much better and sharper and the only thing that wasn't quite as good was some of the out of focus rendering. Not quite as smooth as the Nikon but I felt the tradeoff was worthwhile because I could actually shoot the Sigma at f/1.4 or where I really like to be on a 50mm, which is around f/2.

cool deal. Yea it seemed to me that the Nikkor 50mm 1.4g was really soft at 1.4 and I could never get a tack sharp photo at that f stop. however the Nikkor 85mm 1.4g is awesome wide open! lol

John!

I agree, I almost purchased a Nikkor 50 1.4 I really thought that is what i wanted until I demoed the 1.4 and 1.8 side by side. The 1.4 was fairly soft wide open with lots of CA. stopped at f1.8 it was still no better than the 50mm 1.8 and I found both to be quite acceptable at f2. So I purchased the 1.8 and saved a small amount of cash. I never did try the Sigma, maybe I should:confused:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I've never been a fan of the 50mm which is why I don't have that prime lens. I prefer the Sigma particularly the 85mm f1.4 HSM and use it a lot with my D800E. It is my second most used lens right next to the 24-70mm f2.8.

Between the two that you've asked, I would get the Sigma since the OOF images are a bit better for my taste compared to the Nikon. For 50mm, I would rather go with the 50mm f1.8G for $200 or so with a 5 year USA warranty.

Dave_W

The Dude
I'm going to have to play the devils advocate here and say both the 1.4 and 1.8 Nikon lenses are superior to the Sigma lens. Nasim has compared the two in a very detailed, head to head comparison using the Nikon vs. Sigma lens and clearly shows the Sigma lens fails on a variety of criteria. See HERE

Last edited:

John!

I'm going to have to play the devils advocate here and say both the 1.4 and 1.8 Nikon lenses are superior to the Sigma lens. Nasim has compared the two in a very detailed, head to head comparison using the Nikon vs. Sigma lens and clearly shows the Sigma lens fails on a variety of criteria. See HERE

Interesting comparison. It confirms my un-official, non-technical, hand-held comparison I did in the store when I purchased. Not often you'll find the the lowest cost lens being the best performer. I have told many people that the lens with the best performance per dollar is the 50mm 1.8G. it's just so boring.

Robert Mitchell

The 50mm focal length has never been my favorite. For the work I do I just don't connect with it but the 50mm f/1.8g is such an outstanding lens with a great price to match, I may just grab one for the heck of it.

Dave_W

The Dude
Interesting comparison. It confirms my un-official, non-technical, hand-held comparison I did in the store when I purchased. Not often you'll find the the lowest cost lens being the best performer. I have told many people that the lens with the best performance per dollar is the 50mm 1.8G. it's just so boring.

It is very cool, isn't it? And even cooler is that the 85mm f/1.8G is also a better than the expensive f/1.4G. Taken together I think we can conclude that Nikon has up'ed their game on these newer lenses since they all seem to be turning out better than their slightly older and more expensive counter parts.

stmv

I have a variety of 50 mm lens, from the 1.2, 1.4, 1.8, 2.0,, old manual AI, E versions, AF versions... often because I used to buy used cameras and often they had a 50mm lens..

I use all of them in different situations, and for my favorite sharp.. the old 2.0,, nice.. but for my favorite "look" the 1.2. Is it as sharp as the 1.8.. no... but it just produces these
dreamy photos...

Sometimes,, it is the overall look of the photo,, not the sharpest point,, sometimes today's images almost look too digital. like every pixel is standing out.. we are loosing the analog
look to things.

A good lens,, is one you use...

Robert Mitchell

I have a variety of 50 mm lens, from the 1.2, 1.4, 1.8, 2.0,, old manual AI, E versions, AF versions... often because I used to buy used cameras and often they had a 50mm lens..

I use all of them in different situations, and for my favorite sharp.. the old 2.0,, nice.. but for my favorite "look" the 1.2. Is it as sharp as the 1.8.. no... but it just produces these
dreamy photos...

Sometimes,, it is the overall look of the photo,, not the sharpest point,, sometimes today's images almost look too digital. like every pixel is standing out.. we are loosing the analog
look to things.

A good lens,, is one you use...

While I do agree with this, I also want my glass to be able to produce a sharp image. If I want dreamy or want soft focus, etc. I want to make that decision. I think there's also a huge difference between a lens that may not be pin sharp and the very poor images produced by, for example, the 50mm f/1.4 AF-D at f/1.4.

stmv

Yes,, but often while not perfect the picture can be sharp enough if the bokeh is nice, and the image has a nice feel to it.. for example

_DSC2636-alert.jpg

Is taken with my Nikkor AIS 50mm 1.2 at 1.2,,, and the details are still decent, this is the reduced image, but the test print was nice and sharp, could my Nikkor 1.8 D create
a sharper image, yes, but that was the look I was trying to get.

don't get me wrong, I do chase sharp lens,, like the 180 ED,, the 105 Gausian (nice),, 85 1.4 sweet, love the 105 2.0 DC its crackles,

I used to obsess on sharpness.. tripod... (heavy one), remote release,,, Mirror up.... Liveview zoom... check check check... snap..... but,,, that has faded a bit to the background ,, and I returned more to the composition/story,, and sharpness is more a habit. and depending on how much it is in issue for the picture will
determine how much I go back to my old habits.

Last edited:

Robert Mitchell

Absolutely, but I'm talking about the 50mm f/1.4's, as per the thread subject. Manual focus is a completely different story and the 50mm f/1.2 is as well. The f/1.4's are just terrible wide open. Not at all sharp by any means, super low contrast, lots of CA even without strong backlighting, and overall poor performance until you stop down to at least f/2.

I don't obsess over sharpness but again, if a lens is a sucky performer then I can't warm up to it just because it renders out of focus areas nicely.

stmv

ummmm,, I have shot with my 50mm 1.4 AI AF ED version,, and really have not noticed it being that awful. I wonder if you got a dud. sometime when I have some time, I'll play with it a bit more, but lately I have been preferring my 2.0 as the primary 50mm. But, I'll take your word for it,, guess he should get the sigma then..

Robert Mitchell

Nahh, this is common knowledge. I had 2 copies, 1 copy of the f/1.4 G and this is all over the net as well as many photographers I personally know say the same thing. The AF-D and AF-S G suffer in this way.

Of course, not everyone sees those things or cares but it's a common complaint.

Then again, I do know many that are fine with the lens but that's not to say those issues don't exist. That type of scenario exists with a lot of gear where one group of people think it's just awful and others embrace it. All relative and subjective. :)

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Many people including digital Rev say the sigma is slightly better, some say Nikkor, no real definitive answer lo

Im still stuck on what to get....

This is just my "personal" criteria and preference.

The Sigma provides a rounder OOF on background lights whilst the Nikon version provides more of an oblong shape similar to a football. Other than that, if sharpness and other factors are more important to you, then make that decision. It's all about personal preferences and how much you are willing to pay for a particular lens. You'll find out if you like a lens or not by using it more often and as time goes by. Some prefers zoom lenses and some prefers prime lenses. There is no right or wrong answer.

Like what the other members have already mentioned, the new Nikon 50mm f1.8G offers great value and performance.