Newb Question: Polarized filter and macro lenses??? Which ones should I get?

Liz S.

I am very new to photography. So I may get my photography vocab wrong at times! Forgive me? (And correct me if you want, as I am trying to learn.)

With that said, I have a D3100, with an AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G lens and an AF-S Nikkor 55-200mm 1:4-5.6G ED.

I am interested in buying a polarized filter for my lenses. The one I am looking at is a used one on B&H Photography website. It is a Nikon 77mm Circular Polarizer Glass Filter Used Nikon 77mm Circular Polarizer Glass Filter 2468 B&H Photo

My question is, should I get the circular or linear? And - I have heard there is a version II...should I get that instead? I'm shooting from the hip here, any advice is helpful. I want to take awesome pics at Lake Tahoe and on the snow and sunsets...will this filter help me?

AND my last question....how do I tell if a lens will work with my D3100? Specifically a Sigma ZoomTelephoto 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro Autofocus Lens Used Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro Autofocus 508306 B&H
[h=1][/h]I like to take pictures of plants, bugs, and rocks up close. That is why I want a macro lens. This one is the cheapest I have found, which is great but also cause for concern and caution. Is it for a film Nikon? Or is it for a camera like mine? Does anyone have experience with Sigma lenses? Will I waste my money? I am a newb after all...so I figure cheap is better while I learn.

Whew. Sorry for the long winded post. I just discovered this website and am elated at the possibility of finding some advice from like-minded individuals!

Liz

TedG954

Lenses for your D3100 will be designated as DX.

The correct filter size for your existing lenses is 52mm, not 77mm. And you want a Circular Polarizing Filter, not a linear filter.

Used B+W 52mm Warm Circular Polarizer Skylight 65-015026 B&H

.....note that there are "marks" on the filter. I wouldn't buy a used filter unless I held it in my hand first, to be sure it was literally perfect.

I can't give you any information about non-Nikon lenses, though other folks on this site may be able to help. With modern Nikon lenses, you know they will work with Nikon cameras.

Be careful buying lenses on line, just in case they don't fit, work right, or are damaged.

I would suggest you Google some of your questions to get a wider range of tips and suggestions.

Good luck.

Last edited:

pedroj

Hi Elizabeth and welcome..For a sigma lens to auto focus on your camera it will need the letters HSM Hyper Sonic Motor.

I'm not sure the 77MM polarizer filter will fit your 18-55MM lens

Liz S.

Yeah I think I will go into the local camera shop and have them help me. I was trying to save money by buying online, but I may end up spending more on shipping/returns in the long run. Thanks for your help guys, at least I know what to look for now!

fotojack

Liz...for whatever size lens you get for your camera, look on the inside of the front lens cover to see the size of any filter you may want to put on it. :)

Moab Man

Just to chime in... a polarizer is not that costly so I would buy new unless like Ted said you can put your hands on it first otherwise just buy new and local. That local shop could in the future become a valuable resource to you as my local shop has become. For that reason I support my local shop with purchases as much as I can because I want them to continue to be there in the future for me.

kklor

Liz-
A circular polarizer is for digital and linear for film. You need a much smaller diameter for your current lenses and this will make a filter cheaper in price so you won't feel the need to buy used. Filters protect the front of your lens and often take some hits. Your lens will be impaired by poor or scratched filters in front of your lens. While Nikon has good products there are also a few other filter manufacturers you should check out. B&H is a good source to explore products and look at reviews on gear. As for the lens you are thinking about you can go to the website of that maker and check to see if it works for your camera. You can call B&H directly and you should be greeted by a friendly and knowledgeable sales person who can help you with these items.
Best- Kathleen

patrick in memphis

hi liz, i have pretty much the same gear with the exception i have the 55-300mm lens .first off welcome. second the 18-55mm lens uses a 52mm filter and the 55-300mm uses a 57mm i would suspect the 200 is also a 57mm. cpl circular polarizer is a must also get a uv filter that will knock down glare. i leave the uv on the lenses to protect the main lens/glass in case of bumps(they do occur especially if you have kids) as far as the macro lenses i bought the cheap set off ebay 4 lenses for 20$...not that great...lol go figure...filters are a cheap way to experiment but some of the image processors will emulate/simulate a filter as well...if i can be any help look me up

Sandpatch

I've never owned a polarizng filter, but my photography is 95% outdoors and I'm thinking one might be nice to have. Much of my photography is of moving trains. Is a polarizing filter suitable for this sort of thing, i.e. does the filter have to be constantly reset if I were to move around a bit as I shot or as the train passes by? Thank you!

funfortehfun

I'd buy circular polarizing filters (not cheap ones, at least $100+) with step-up rings to 77mm. That way, if you ever buy other lenses and want to put a filter on them, you only have to buy a step-up ring. :D
You can tell the filter size of a Nikon camera by looking on the side for a lens for a "Ø" sign. The number after that tells you your filter size, in mm.

Last edited:

patrick in memphis

Cpl will cut down intense bright to keep from washing out details and In my opinion sharpen pic a little. ..I just use the 20 $ filters...at my level of the hobby. Much more for a filter would be in question...I.e. I would need to see why one would be better than another..... as far as reset its either on or off

BackdoorArts

I'd buy circular polarizing filters (not cheap ones, at least $100+) with step-up rings to 77mm. That way, if you ever buy other lenses and want to put a filter on them, you only have to buy a step-up ring. :D
You can tell the filter size of a Nikon camera by looking on the side for a lens for a "Ø" sign. The number after that tells you your filter size, in mm.

Filter size is also specified clearly on the back of your lens cap.

I differ sightly from these recommendations. Buy the best filter you can afford, but don't think your compromising by not spending at least a certain amount. I've got a Hoya CPF (67mm) that I'm very happy with that I spent around $60 for. I've since purchased a Marumi 77mm CPF based on the recommendation of someone here (Rick M or DaveW, I can't recall which) and am equally pleased, and it was also below $70. I prefer to have a CPF for each size (I use stepdown rings for ND filters and others), but it's a personal thing since when I'm using them they tend to stay on a while and I'll often have multiple cameras, so having them on multiple lenses is usually required.

As for what they'll do for you, here's a prime example from shots I took this past week. The top photo is without a CPF, the bottom with one, adjusted to remove the glare from the top of the water. No other adjustments.
_D728877-Edit.jpg

Last edited: