Photo rotation

abilinski

Hi,

I have a D3200 - taking vertical photos. After uploading to online gallery some pics come thru OK as vertical and some display sideways in landscape. If I rotate manually and re-upload it's OK. but I'd like to skip the manual process.

Any advice why only some pics come trough OK and some not. And maybe there is a setting in the menu to save the info in the EXIF header that this photo was taken with rotated camera and it is in fact a vertical and not horizontal sideways to force a proper online display. PHP script just takes the raw pixels - no changes there then from the original photo.

Any help greatly appreciated.

fotojack

I'm pretty sure the instructions on how to do that are in your owners manual. It is definitely a Setup Menu item. I think it's called Auto Image Rotation.

Brusader

I'm pretty sure the instructions on how to do that are in your owners manual. It is definitely a Setup Menu item. I think it's called Auto Image Rotation.

I think he's talking about the website auto-rotating the photos, not when viewing in camera. :)

When I rotate photos, I highlight all of the ones to be rotated, then right-click on them and select 'rotate clockwise' (in Windows 7).
This doesn't work with NEFs but I adjust them in Lightroom anyway, but I do use it when sorting photos taken with my point n click or mobile phone.

BackdoorArts

If some are auto-rotated and not others then you probably have things set correctly. The camera has sensors to detect its orientation so that it can perform these functions. However, I've discovered there are times when I think I'm shooting horizontal/vertical, but I've twisted myself some way, either sideways of forwards/backwards, that has the camera thinking otherwise. For example, if you have the camera oriented vertically, but bend over 75-90 degrees to take a shot of something on a tabletop, the camera is now in an orientation that probably confuses that sensor. Are you shooting an object vertically tilted top to bottom, or horizontally tilted left to right? I find that when the camera is facing forward that it's very good determining orientation for the middle 140-150 degrees from ground to sky. After that it's pot luck, and when you're shooting straight up or down then it always seems to default to horizontal.

The camera will always store in the horizontal position with the camera orientation stored in the metadata. The camera and software will have settings to use this information when displaying the photos, so if it's not happening check the settings, and if it's happening inconsistently my paragraph above may apply.

Last edited:

abilinski

I think this is the case. Photos are taken high in the mountains and sometimes it may be tilted forward/backward what may confuse the orientation sensor. I will double check the settings anyway. Thank You.