Some 28mm 1.8G shots

BackdoorArts

As I mentioned elsewhere, I took some advice from Rick M. to heart and decided to go with a set of 1.8G primes instead of considering the 24-70mm 2.8. I love the convenience of the zoom, but have to be honest and say that the 28-85 kit lens I got with the D600 is something I'm rather happy with for walking around, so having some good, "tack sharp" primes sounded appealing. I do a lot of landscape stuff, so started with the 28mm which arrived last Friday.

I have busy as all get-out at work, but every Saturday morning (weather permitting) I take a walk into town, camera in hand. It's something I started this year after living here for 21 years, and I have to tell you that it has allowed me to get to know a place I have largely ignored during my drives through and bonded me to the area and it's history - simply because I can see it at a photographer's pace a LOT better than at 30 mph.

It wasn't a spectacular day for shooting, and I probably spent more time getting to know how it was wide open. I have to tell you, I'm very impressed. These are all with my D600, all wide open at 1.8. I tried some with the D7000 later in the day as well, but alas there was some major backfocus going on and nothing was worth sharing unless you want to see backfocused issues.

8376338125_fe13914949_o.jpg

8377413014_ace316d5b5_o.jpg

8376338239_fc713377bf_o.jpg

8376338173_46044491df_o.jpg

§am

I'm loving these shots of the 28mm f/1.8
It's making me save up more and more - gonna leave the 35mm and get this instead :)

Rick M

I'm loving these shots of the 28mm f/1.8
It's making me save up more and more - gonna leave the 35mm and get this instead :)

I think that's a good choice, considering what you have in your signature. On Dx, I think the 28 is a better indoor choice.

§am

Rick, Jake - my initial thoughts were to get a 35mm f/1.8G and the 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6 as Nikon have some cashback deals on at the moment which would have made these 2 lenses a nice addition to my collection.

However, the 35mm even though a nice little lens, just wasn't shouting out to be bought as much as the wider 28mm was. Playing around on my 18-55mm, the extra 7mm wideness certainly makes a difference, and recently I've been debating whether to work harder and longer and save up that hard earned cash (or plastic) for the 28mm, and alas the NAS inside me has won :p

With Focus on Imaging ("Europe's Biggest Annual Imaging Show") coming up at the start of March, hopefully be able to pick up the 28mm cheaper than the £500 being asked right now.