Sunpak DF3000

ABN Panzer

I've read multiple reviews from multiple sources and now come to you for your wisdom and advice.
I'm looking at getting an external flash for my D5100.

I'm looking at the Sunpak DF3000 ($49.99)

I am looking for something that will perform better than the flash on the camera that still allows me to pivot/bounce and play with lighting... I am no expert by any means.

I know there are better flashes out there but I know my limitations... $$ being one of them.

Is there anything particularly bad about this flash that I should avoid? Reasons I shouldnt get it?

I appreciate anything you could offer.

**Note: I did search the sight for anything that might have been previously mentioned about this Flash but did not find anything.

Just-Clayton

My first flash was a Sunpak PZ42X. I still use it. The biggest difference I saw between the sunpak and my sb700 was the slide base is plastic on the sunpak. I try to put it on slowly as not to try and force it on. So far it's lasted me over a year. I use it to trigger my sb700 also. As long as you get your money out of it I would try it.

Just-Clayton

I was comparing the specs on both mine and your model and mine had a farther reach and I can adjust the strength of the output. It depends on what your looking for.

RockyNH_RIP

I've read multiple reviews from multiple sources and now come to you for your wisdom and advice.
I'm looking at getting an external flash for my D5100.

I'm looking at the Sunpak DF3000 ($49.99)

I am looking for something that will perform better than the flash on the camera that still allows me to pivot/bounce and play with lighting... I am no expert by any means.

I know there are better flashes out there but I know my limitations... $$ being one of them.

Is there anything particularly bad about this flash that I should avoid? Reasons I shouldnt get it?

I appreciate anything you could offer.

**Note: I did search the sight for anything that might have been previously mentioned about this Flash but did not find anything.

I am familiar with it and it is auto TTL only... I would wait and if money is an object look for something like the Youngnuo 468 II which allows TTL Auto and also manual and slave use...

Pat in NH

Alex66

I am familiar with it and it is auto TTL only... I would wait and if money is an object look for something like the Youngnuo 468 II which allows TTL Auto and also manual and slave use...

Pat in NH
I have a Sunpak P40X and a Youngnuo 465 both work well on the Nikon cameras in full auto, I would give the nod to the Youngnuo as its head twists as well as tilts and that is useful if shooting in portrait. I wont pay a fortune for a flash though as I have a set of studio strobes and prefer using them. However I would not buy a flash gun that only has iTTL mode, with a manual adjustable range you can do a lot more. With a trigger or cable a stand or tripod with an umbrella which if you look carefully you can get for less than £25 it opens a whole new world.

Cowboybillybob1

I own the Sunpak DF3000 and for the price it works great. Much better than the pop up on the camera. Had I been aware of the Youngnuo 468 II I would have spent the extra bucks for the better features it offers. It is twice the price though.

I am looking to upgrade and am interested in the Nikon SB-700 but that is a bit more than $300 USD.

Bottom line is that the SunPak works well on my D3200 and at the price of 50 bucks it's a great deal. You will probably want to upgrade as well. Once you experience what even a cheapo flash can do for your shots. I am coming to the conclusion that lighting is at least 75% of a great photo.