Ironwoods Plod - 2013

Ironwood

Well, I know I am a bit late starting this one, but I know I wont be able to take a photo everyday anyhow, so I'll just plod along at my own pace.

Snapped this Rock Wallaby with her new Joey in my garden this afternoon.

70-300VR @250mm, ISO 800, f7.1, 1/30 th, + 0.7EV (forgot to reset to 0 )
15-1=1.jpg

@185mm, ISO 800, f7.1, 1/25 th sec. + 0.7EV
15-1=2.jpg

Ironwood

I never realized how long wallaby tails are!!

Their tails are longer than the rest of their body Barbara.
You should see the Joey's when they are big enough to start getting out of their mothers pouch, their tail seems disproportionate to their little bodies, they have to grow into their tails.

Ironwood

Well I cant believe it, day 2 and I have another photo to upload :cool:

My tractor waiting for me to start it up and mow the long grass.

DB990.jpg

Ironwood

We just had the remnants of Cyclone Oswald pass over us on Thursday, we got about 16 inches of rain in 2 days.
So today I went for a walk along the creek near my house, I thought I might see a Platypus or 2, they are usually active after rain.

DSC_0007.jpg

I didnt see any Platypus anywhere, so I was taking photos of these insects that walk on water. I had to turn the AF off, because the camera wouldn't focus on them.

DSC_0001.jpg

I noticed out the corner of my eye this little Azure Kingfisher land on a log, I was still on manual focus and didnt nail the focus at all, this is the best pic out of 4 that I took before he took off again.

DSC_0006.jpg

Last edited:

Ironwood

The Mother Wallaby and her Joey were back this afternoon, bit hard to see in the photo, but the Joey has hair now.

DSC_0044.jpg

Here she is with her boyfriend.

DSC_0051.jpg

snaphappy

I love that creek photo very nice to look at :cool: I love the greens and all the interesting fallen trees. The wallaby's are pretty cool pics as well since we don't see them around here ;)

Ironwood

Late yesterday afternoon I took this one off the end of my verandah looking down towards the creek, it was raining and the light was very low.

Had it on AF and it didnt quite nail the focus, it was hunting in the low light.

Edit- or it could be soft because of the 1/5 th second shutter speed.

18-2-1.jpg

Last edited:

Ironwood

This afternoon I was taking some rubbish out to the bin and spotted these two on the lawn snacking on some bread that my Wife or Son must have thrown out. Had to race back in and grab the camera, the settings were still what I was using yesterday, so I had the ISO up too high, I just clicked away while I had the chance.

The Joey had a nibble when Mum had the bread close enough, but I missed that while I was getting the camera. I saw it nibbling on some grass as well, so it will be fending for itself pretty soon.

The garden hose is 3/4 inch / 20mm to give a bit of an idea of size.

19-2-1.jpg

19-2-2.jpg

19-2-3.jpg

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
We just had the remnants of Cyclone Oswald pass over us on Thursday, we got about 16 inches of rain in 2 days.
So today I went for a walk along the creek near my house, I thought I might see a Platypus or 2, they are usually active after rain.

View attachment 25552

I didnt see any Platypus anywhere, so I was taking photos of these insects that walk on water. I had to turn the AF off, because the camera wouldn't focus on them.

View attachment 25553

I noticed out the corner of my eye this little Azure Kingfisher land on a log, I was still on manual focus and didnt nail the focus at all, this is the best pic out of 4 that I took before he took off again.

View attachment 25554

Nice shots. Your Kingfishers have lots more color than the ones in FL.

Ironwood

So you have wallabies living around you like we have deer. Do they totally descimate your garden?

Some afternoons there can be a dozen or more grazing on the lawns around the house.
With the gardens they are not too bad really, but there are certain plants they will eat back to the roots as soon as you put them in the ground.
Whenever I plant a vegetable garden I have to fence it off, to keep the Wallabies and the Bush Turkey's out.

piperbarb

Some afternoons there can be a dozen or more grazing on the lawns around the house.
With the gardens they are not too bad really, but there are certain plants they will eat back to the roots as soon as you put them in the ground.
Whenever I plant a vegetable garden I have to fence it off, to keep the Wallabies and the Bush Turkey's out.

I gave up on a vegetable garden. Around here, one has to put up a 8-10 ft high wire fence to keep the deer out and dig down abt 4 ft and place a wire or wood barricade to keep the woodchucks out. Somehow, the rabbits still manage to get whatever they can.

My next door neighbor put a 10 ft wire fence up to keep out the deer but forgot to put a 4 ft barricade in the ground to keep out the woodchucks. I was outside in the backyard one afternoon, practicing my bagpipe, when I noticed that one of the local woodchucks (rodent type, not human :) ) had dug a tunnel under his fence and popped up right in the middle of his vegetable garden. That was the last year my neighbor had a vegetable garden.

Ironwood

cue up the bush turkey photo.

Trouble is, the Bush Turkey's have been noticeable by their absence for the last few months. They normally roam up and down the edge of the creek all day, lately though, they havent been around, not sure if the neighbours dogs have had something to do with it, or they have ended up in someones pot. They are protected by law now so not many people eat them these days.
But, I will get a photo of one sometime and post it here.