betraying canon for nikon...need feedback

lilbit

Hi, my name is Michelle. I'm 33 and live in Cali. I was hoping to get some feedback on which Nikon DSLR to consider. I have been true to Canon for over 10 years. My first camera was a film Nikon and I shot on Canon SLR for about 5 years and then upgraded to a Canon Rebel about 5 years ago. I do have camera knowledge, but it has been many years since I have photographed on a regular basis. So I'd like to call myself an amateur. About a year ago, I picked back up my Rebel and just wasn't satisfied. I had my hands on Canon for years mainly because my ex swore by them. I distrust my beliefs and the validity of the assumption that Canon is better. I am hoping that someone with Nikon experience can help someone who wants more from her photography experience.
Debating between the D3200 and the D80. Or should I go a different route. Any feedback is appreciated, I am very anxious to start shooting again.

dman24993

I debated the D3200 and the D5100. A number of friends recommended the D3100. After much hemming and hawing, I decided on the D3100. Mainly because with the D3200 just recently coming out, you can find killer deals on the D3100. I have only had it a few days and so far I love it. It is a fantastic little camera. My first film camera was a Nikon as well. I have used the T3i from Canon, and I was not as happy with it as I am with the Nikon.

Best advice I can give, take a memory card to your local camera shop, shoot some pictures with different cameras, take it home and look through them. That may make your decision easier.

Hope this helps.

Dan from CA

§am

Welcome to the forum Michelle :)

I'm going to suggest that if you have the funds for a D3200, then consider the D5100 instead.
Here in the UK at least, the D5100 is a tad cheaper than the D3200, and in my opinion, the D5100 is a lot better camera.

As you're not completely new to the whole photography scene, you'd probably appreciate the D5100 more, but if you can, maybe stretch your budget to a D7000?

Just my thoughts :)

Last edited:

stmv

so, first why are you unhappy with Canon? not enough features, feels odd to your hands, want more lens options, prefer better camera controls?

I have tried both Rebels and entry level Nikons,, very incremental differences. I have use also the high end Canons (like Mark III versus Nikon 700/800s) and I still prefer Nikon feel.
I don't like the cameras larger than the 800 family just because I spend most of my time mobile.

but,,, from your information,,, hard to make a recomendation..

If you are wanting to shoot more like classic manual mode.. I would suggest:

D80/90/300/700/7000/600/800,,, this entire family has what I call the classic Nikon controls, right back to the film days. If you used a Nikon F100, 6006/80... etc, then these
cameras just feel right to your hands.

But I know hard core Canon folks that feel EXACTLY the same about their Canons.

good advice from Dan,, go to a LARGER pro shop that has both new and used cameras. take your time, and handle each camera. see which ones feel right to your grip.

My favorite.... D7000,,, for that light weight, but still complete package design (well 600 falls into that category too). Also, I really like cameras that have both the front
and rear command dials, and cameras that can bracket more then 3 shots.. (common Nikon!), and definitely Cameras that can meter old glass, and drive all lens.

The one I use all the time.... D800... just takes awesome pictures.

The reason I shoot Nikon,,,, 40 years of gear, and the ability to use lens that span now 50 years !..

Last edited:

pedroj

How much do you have invested in Canon & Nikon lens...I think if the answer is a lot for one or the other should sway your decision...

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I was expecting a budget too from Michelle. $ makes the difference in our suggestions.

If I was starting with a modest budget, a Nikon D5100 body only, Nikon 35mm f1.8G DX lens and a Nikon SB 700 should get you started in the right direction.

Want faster glass? Nikon 17-55mm f2.8G DX lens (used of course).

D80 is just a little too old in camera technology but I still have mine. D5100 has a better sensor which is similar to the D7000.

lilbit

Thank you for all of your comments. Budget of $900. With the Canon, it was a little about the feel of the camera, but mostly I wasn't satisfied with the quality of photos as much as I had been with my Canon ELAN 7. The SLR seemed to have much better focusing techniques. Although most the time on my Rebel I used manual focus, I found that when I wanted to use auto focus it was suuuper fickle. When it comes to quality, is something simply lost when you go from SLR to DSLR? Looking for something light, not too bulky for my small hands, yet has all the options and is a serious camera.
Thank you again guys :)

§am

For your budget, I'd say the D5100 'kit' is a very good starting point, but depending on your photographic desires, lens choice will vary.