Nikon D5200: Same autofocus issues as some D7000 models experienced?

Dave_W

The Dude
[h=1]See full article HERE

Nikon D5200: Same autofocus issues as some D7000 models experienced?[/h][h=2]Not sharp when using the viewfinder[/h]
nikon-d5200-39-point-autofocus-system-problem-not-sharp-d7000-error-0.jpg
[COLOR=#666666 !important]12 January 2013 19:45 GMT / By Mike Lowe

• [COLOR=#04558B !important]0
Amid the madness of last week's Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Pocket-lint was able to prise away a final firmware version of the Nikon D5200 for an extended play. The glitzy red devil has a brand new 24-megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor at its core, but does it drop photographic bangers or has the increase in resolution caused it to bomb?
It seems we've stumbled upon an issue with our particular D5200 sample: a closer inspection of shots reveals they're just not as sharp as they ought to be.
nikon-d5200-39-point-autofocus-system-problem-not-sharp-d7000-error-7.jpg

ISO 500 - 100 per cent crop
Could this be the previously reported autofocus issue some D7000 users experienced when that DSLR first launched? Both cameras share the same 39-point autofocus system, so it would appear plausible, even though we've never experienced the talked-about issue first hand before now.
The giveaway was when shooting some tripod-mounted shots to test manual focus, live view autofocus and viewfinder autofocus. The first two were fine - they're impressively sharp - but the latter was soft each and every time, which is exactly the same issue as reported by some D7000 users.
Here's a simple tripod-mounted shot of some glasses (excuse the fingerprints) captured using live view's contrast-detect autofocus system, shown cropped at 100 per cent scale. It's a raw conversion without any adjustments made, bar from Pocket-lint's own automated processing that occurs during the upload and watermarking. There's lots of detail, so plenty of good to shout about.
nikon-d5200-39-point-autofocus-system-problem-not-sharp-d7000-error-1.jpg

Shot from a tripod using live view's contrast detection autofocus
Here's the same scene, this time relying on the optical viewfinder and, therefore, the camera's phase-detection autofocus system, again shown at 100 per cent scale. It's the same ISO setting and direct raw conversion, with no different processing applied, but note that nothing is bitingly sharp.
nikon-d5200-39-point-autofocus-system-problem-not-sharp-d7000-error-2.jpg

Shot from a tripod using the optical viewfinder's phase-detection autofocus
We've shot and re-shot the same sorts of tests and the results have been consistent on every occasion with this particular D5200 camera body. It's likely an isolated issue, but one that mirrors a previously reported and recognised problem.
It's not the fault of the 18-55mm lens either - which we used both with and without vibration reduction - as even swapping over for a 24-70mm f/2.8 didn't resolve the level of detail that we had expected at any ISO value, in both raw and JPEG shots.
nikon-d5200-39-point-autofocus-system-problem-not-sharp-d7000-error-3.jpg

So we can only base our image quality words on shots we fired off when using live view. The D5200's images have a 50 per cent larger canvas than the D5100 predecessor, but it's a palette filled with a similar levels of image noise and dynamic range potential. Now that's great from a sensor that's so much more resolute, but not so good when paired with a problematic autofocus system. But it's a "yay" for the sensor at least.
We're getting a second body sent over from Nikon with which to do a side-by-side test and will report back once we can test it more thoroughly. Hopefully it's just a minor blip in the system, but if anyone else has experienced the same issue please do let us know in the comments below.

[/COLOR]

[/COLOR]

krazykal99

Does the D7000 still experience these issues? I'm on a pre-order list for the D5200, but a few things I've been reading the past few days are making me reconsider.

AC016

And what was the solution to the D7000 AF issue? D5200 inherited the same AF system.... so....... Anyhow, this is one camera. For the moment, i am not taking alot of stock in the "test" they did.

Eye-level

Banned
In a few of the other forums I visit there is starting to be a loud roar about Nikon and I feel that it is starting to become a significant roar too. Mainly the issue is with the D600 over it's "fluid on the sensor" problem and the recent huge discount/rebate so quickly after the release. Many folks are turning to Sony's new full frame the A99 or whatever it is and forsaking Nikon all together after sending sometimes upwards of 3 D600's back. The D5200 is squarely aimed at the consumer segment and if this focus issue is real then I have a feeling this time all of these problems collectively are going to hurt Nikon's reputation bad. You can't be making cameras that are a turkey shoot to see if you get a good one or a lemon. After a while people are going to be turned off by that and you'll lose your market share very quickly.

BackdoorArts

I'm curious about the D7000 issue as well. I have worked around the "not tack sharp" issue, and like the camera a lot, but am MUCH happier with the D600, even with the oil/dust on the sensor thing. I'd love to know what the D7000 resolution was, and if I should be sending mine back while still under warranty.