SB-700 Speedlight Samples on D5100

RockyNH_RIP

Hello Fellow Nikonites,

Ok, many know I recently bought an SB-700 as my main flash. Currently, my only capability is On Camera. What I did today is to test the unit on camera in various positions to see the effect. No post process except identical crop in LR to each frame.
I was using a 50mm f/1.8 lens - settings were AP, ISO 100, Shutter at 1/60, Aperture f/1.8, point focu/point meter. (the exception was NO flash which was Shutter at 1/8. SB - 700 in TTL mode.

Note: The model is my wife and please remember, she is not a model, it was early morning so she was tired and honestly, this was NOT what she wanted to be doing... I thank her for being a good sport!

There were no lights on, a window to her right with daylight through a sheer curtain. Foogy hazy, no sun.
For the bounces, my ceiling is textured and an off white.. normal height (8' or so)

Left is NO Flash, Right is PopUp Flash

DSC_2839.jpg DSC_2840.jpg

Left is straight on 700, right had the built in "wide" panel open

DSC_2841.jpg DSC_2842.jpg

Left is both wide and diffuser installed, Right is plainvertical bounce

DSC_2843.jpg DSC_2844.jpg

Left bounce with "wide" panel, right with diffuser only

DSC_2845.jpg DSC_2846.jpg

Left bounce with both wide and diffuser, right is normal bounce with white bounce card.

DSC_2847.jpg DSC_2848.jpg

Anyway, this was informative for me... figured I would share it in case others were interested.
I tried to give as much info as I could on the settings and conditions.

Pat in NH

Rick M

This is great Pat! I like to see member reviews and examples when deciding on a product. It is far better to get examples from members here than biased opinions on the net.

RockyNH_RIP

Thanks Rick,
I did the work so why not share it!! :) God knows I have recieved so much from this forum, if that can help anyone, I am glad. No way I could ever give as much as I have gotten!

Pat in NH

RockyNH_RIP

I just bought one my self for the D5100 thanks this will help me

Great Rodbender... I was not able to try a bounce off the walls this test as they were the wrong color and windows.. I will likely do that in another room at a later date.. Enjoy the sb-700/D5100, I am enjoying mine!

Pat in NH

AxeMan - Rick S.

Good examples what the difference is between the pop up flash and what can be done by defusing or bouncing your flash off of something using a Speedlight.

To sweeten the deal the SB700 made all the power settings for you on it's own based on your camera settings. SO easy a caveman could do it.

Glad you took our advise and bit the bullet and got the SB700. Third party flashes can do the same thing, but I read somewhere they could damage you flash circuit in your camera. At least now you have a Nikon match for on camera flash. Your going to love it when you move into the other room.

Anyone looking at these photos can see why so many of use recommend the SB700. The SB400 limits you on head control and is cheaper, the SB 900 has a few more bells and whistles, the flash recovery time is faster, and has a higher output. However many of us have a hard time putting that kind of cash out on a flash. As it was I had a hard time spending the money on the SB700, but after using it a few time it was well worth the money.

RockyNH_RIP

Happy to share! i have only had mine a week and ahalf but used it extensively with good results yesterday and will again tonight

Pat inNh

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2