Dana : Studio Glamour

Robert Mitchell

This is a shot from my last shoot with Dana. We had a blast creating some really different images for her portfolio and in time I'm sure we'll work together again.

Camera & Lens:
Nikon D700 & Nikon 105mm f/2.8 VR

Settings:
ISO 200, f/13, 1/125s

Lighting:
Main Light- 22" beauty dish with silver deflector [positioned to camera right]
Fill Light- 9" x 36" strip softbox [positioned just off axis, to camera left]

p1378195144-5.jpg

Sambr

Yes, I hope you work with her again she is very pretty, great shot :) Bet you she looks hot in a standing pose with that outfit :)

RockyNH_RIP

Robert, as always, very nice and a beautiful subject, her eyes just draw you in!! One question... there is a shadow over her left shoulder and I am not used to seeing them in your shots (I also went and looked back at some older ones) Please address them for this novices information.
Thanks for all you share including more than just the photos's.

Pat in NH

Robert Mitchell

Hi Pat,

Thank you.

Let me explain about the lighting and shadow. In the film noir shots I posted of Lauren there is actually a well defined shadow as a result of the lighting but also because of the proximity of the subject to the seamless paper background. The same is true in this shot of Dana.

Dana is stilling about 12 inches from the background and the beauty dish to camera right is creating the shadow behind and to camera left. The shot and her look is edgy and I wanted lighting that was a bit more edgy as well.

There are varying degrees of shadow in a lot of my work and not everything is shot with large, soft, diffused light. This is one example where I wanted shadow and where the shadow acts as vertical grounding to complete the shot.

RockyNH_RIP

Hi Pat,

Thank you.

Let me explain about the lighting and shadow. In the film noir shots I posted of Lauren there is actually a well defined shadow as a result of the lighting but also because of the proximity of the subject to the seamless paper background. The same is true in this shot of Dana.

Dana is stilling about 12 inches from the background and the beauty dish to camera right is creating the shadow behind and to camera left. The shot and her look is edgy and I wanted lighting that was a bit more edgy as well.

There are varying degrees of shadow in a lot of my work and not everything is shot with large, soft, diffused light. This is one example where I wanted shadow and where the shadow acts as vertical grounding to complete the shot.

Robert, thanks for the explanation... I appreciate it.. (I knew it was not an accident!!) ;)

Pat in NH

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Hi Pat,

Thank you.

Thanks for posting your perspective on these shots Robert. Your contribution is really appreciated.

Keep shooting!

Robert Mitchell

As I think you guys can tell, I have great passion for lighting and photography. Any time I can share techniques or things I've learned over time, it's my pleasure. Lighting, like all things, is such a personal preference and every so often there are those 'happy accidents', but in most cases the lighting scheme is carefully and methodically planned.