Shooting today

Chase

Hi all im off the nec now im hust wondering with my d3200 what the best settings were to take pics of cars in false light.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Could I ask you what do you mean exactly by "false light"?

Where would the cars actually be?

Scott Murray

This doesn't sound right ;)

[h=3]3. False Light[/h]Publicity which places a person in a false light. using a photo out of context can imply that a person in the photo was doing something they weren''t. usually not the photo itself but the caption, text or presentation of the photo. similar to libel. a misleading or offensive display of someone). This is defamation, an aspect of which is libel. Libel includes a non-truthful photo, or display of a photo, which ridicules, humiliates, or provokes contempt for, a living person or company. In the case of a public figure, libel is narrowed to malice and reckless disregard for the truth. First Amendment be provide a “constitutional override, permitting free speach for the public benefit.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
So I guess you meant "artificial light"?

If so, you'll have to see how much light there actually is and from there decide on what would be acceptable iso to get the job done.
I suspect you'd want the cars pretty much all in focus which would mean using an aperture of about f8. If you're able to shoot 1/20s hand held you might be OK. If you bring a monopod, then maybe you can have even more Depth of Field.

It's kind of tuff to recommend settings without knowing exactly what the conditions will be. Just do your best and show us the results.

Good luck.

Robert Mitchell

Hi all im off the nec now im hust wondering with my d3200 what the best settings were to take pics of cars in false light.

Hi Chase,

You really need to give us a bit more information and specifics to be able to give you any help. What type of lighting? Lighting modifiers? Location? Ambient contribution? Too many variables and not enough info to give an answer without knowing more.

Mike150

Don't forget to find out what type of lights are being used. White Balance set incorrectly will really ruin your photos. Take a few experimental shots at each setting to see what gives the best result. Yes, if you shoot RAW, you can adjust it later but it's such a pain in the behind parts to have to adjust a couple hundred shots because of white balance.

Chase

Back from the car show. Sorry for not putting up enough information for a more accurate answer, its my first time using it and i did the worst thing i could and resorted to the auto modes, ive been reading a book to help me out but its all still foreign to me i also tried changing aome of the settings myself but failed.

Thanks for the replies though im going to have to get atuck into my book a little more and understand more about apertures iso's shutter speeds etc.

pedroj

Back from the car show. Sorry for not putting up enough information for a more accurate answer, its my first time using it and i did the worst thing i could and resorted to the auto modes, ive been reading a book to help me out but its all still foreign to me i also tried changing aome of the settings myself but failed.

Thanks for the replies though im going to have to get atuck into my book a little more and understand more about apertures iso's shutter speeds etc.

You Tube can help a lot..

Auto modes are not necessarily the worst thing you can do. If you understand all the auto modes. Program, aperture priority, shutter priority you can get great results. If shooting fast it can save some shots you might have missed sometimes. Now I am going to stir the hornets nest a little. Some people shoot only manual and CAN be a little snobbish about it. It all depends on what you are after. Are you after the ART of photography or the CRAFT of photography. Yes you need to learn the CRAFT to be good at the ART but it you use the (for Example) program mode and use the wheel to change the shutter speed and aperture it will always give you more of less the same exposure but change the depth of field and stop action properties. So you have done more or less what the people who shoot in Manual mode do. Add in the OVER/UNDER exposure and you can get the results you want without having to be so very careful in watching the meter.
This is not for the pros we have but more for the rest of us here who are shooting mostly for fun and family. We want better photos but are more interested in the photo than how it was obtained.

Let the flaming begin.

Last edited: