Nikon SB910

mck05pcna

I was given this flash as a gift a few months ago and have not had a lot of issues with it, other than trying to learn all of what it can do! However, a few days ago I was doing some shots of one of my grandchildren and the flash would emit 3 quick "pre flashes" and then the full flash - a full 1 1/2 sec delay. I've tried everything possible to eliminate this, including a full reset of the flash. It's in the flash because it does the same thing on any DSLR that I use. I've contacted Nikon and as usual they want me to send it back, however before losing this for the next 4 to 6 weeks, I like to hear if anyone has had this happen with the 910 or is there something I'm missing. Any help on this is greatly appreciated.:confused:

Mike150

Sounds to me like you've got the flash setting on the camera on RedEye. This will cause the preflashes to make the pupils contract.

mck05pcna

Mike,
thanks and you are the man. I've spent so much time looking at all the issues with the flash, that I failed to pay attention to the simple items in the preview screen. I knew it had to do with something in the Redeye family but didn't pay attention to the obvious. Thanks for bringing me back to paying attention to the "small details". Regards,Terry

Last edited:

Justin

Very glad you posted this query up - I was scouring the net for an answer and also did not want to have to send the flash back. I don't even remember turning the "Red-Eye Reduction" on, it's not even in MENU settings on the D800. It wasn't until I read your post to look into the Preview Screen, and I figured out how to shut it off after pushing my little flash button on the front of the body, and scrolling the Red-Eye off. Still trying to justify the amount of $ I spent on the 910. This delay almost cost me a fashion-show event when I discovered it upon setup. Good thing I had a $100 general strobie flash that used quick-and-simple manual operations and it fired without errors all night. Gonna give the 910 another go.