D7000 or D800 for macro

shibang

Hi All,

I'm hoping somebody can offer some advice here.

I currently use a D7000 + MB-D11 with the 17-55 2.8, 35mm 1.8, 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8 and 105mm 2.8 VR.

The 17-55mm never leaves my bag, I really like my primes better and really feel I am covered with anything from the 35mm to the 105mm. Not often do I feel I need something wide but later down the line maybe I will look for a wider prime

Now I used to have a lot of hotel points which were usless in The Netherlands for what you could buy but now that has changed and I cashed them in for vouchers for an electrical shop.

As I really don't need anything I thought I might sell the D7000 + MB-D11, 35mm 1.8 and the 17-55mm 2.8 and replace them with the D800.

Basically it would be like doing a straight swap for the D7000 + MB-D11, 35mm 1.8 and the 17-55mm 2.8 for the D800 without paying anything out of my own pocket.

Everybody always says lenses but as I feel I am covered for what I shoot and I figured if I got the D800 I would be getting something I use everyday compared to something I don't need that I might use now and then.

I mostly shoot macro, people, street and a little landscape but not much.

Does anybody have any experience shooting macro with the D7000 and the D800 and would you say it is worth replacing the D7000 with the D800 mostly for macro.

Thanks and regards

Scott Murray

I have only the D800 but am thinking that with the extra MP you will be able to crop in closer if needed. I have a macro lens but honestly have not used it that much since I have got my D800.

AC016

I think being able to crop more is really the only benefit you will get. However, if you are going to be cropping the hell out of a picture, you are either using the wrong lens or just are not close enough. Other than that, the D800 really is not going to benefit you in Macro photography. The right lens will though.

shibang

Thanks both for the reply.

AC016, I don't really crop much, only a little if it improves composition as sometimes I don't always get it right first time. If I can I'll use my tripod and the 105mm and try to get as close as I can and hopefully get the focus right. If I think the subject is not going to go away too soon then maybe I will try and get enough just to do some image stacking.

Regards,

JDFlood

I have a D800 and a couple APS-c cameras, not the D7000, I do have a D200, and D700. Specifically for macro you will have to shoot closer because you will loose the crop factor, assuming your macro shots have plenty of light, then you will probably not gain a lot other than being able to crop more. But in street photography and other you gain a lot! You get much better low light sensitivity, and resolution. If you are serious about photography you want to be shooting an FX camera. Also, as an aside, thinking about the future. Sharp just released a 4K monitor and demonstrated an 8K monitor ( 8,000 pixels wide ) so, in only a few years 5 - 10, those files that seem so huge ( d800 are 7,360 by 4,912) now are going to fit on your monitor and home viewing system. So, twenty years from now, you'll be happy you made the jump. The D800 is truly an awesome camera, I can't imagine it not proving itself in all sorts of ways you cannot image now. For me it picks up nuances of light much better than it's predecessors, allowing me to capture more emotion. JD

shibang

Hi JDFlood,

Thanks for the reply.

I got the D800 in the end and I am blown away with it.

I had no issues with the D7000 at all but you can't turn down a free D800 especially when the alternative was a dishwasher :)

Regards,

Incubate

I'm probably one of those people who talk more about the "glass" than the camera. I've got both the D7000 and the D800 and I love both. What I love even more though is the Nikon 105mm 2.8 Macro lens. What a lens, crisp, wonderful, perfect and did I say crisp? Keep the D7000 and get the 105mm, a perfect macro and portrait lens.

mr2_serious

105mm on a DX for portraits? That would make it close to 157mm.... I thought the best focal length for portraits is from 75-105, anything smaller or bigger distorts facial features. But then I'm still learning so I could be wrong.

- william - via tapatalk

Incubate

This is true but it's still a very nice portrait lens on a cropped sensor. Plus when you do eventually go full frame you've got a piece of glass that they can bury with you.

shibang

I agree with the 105mm, some say it is a little long on a cropped sensor but I love it on the D7000 and D800 for portraits or macro.

I'm also thinking about a TC-20E III Teleconverter, does anybody have any experience with this, is the quality reduced much?

Regards

Last edited:

Incubate

What I've hear on the teleconverter side is the TC - 17E is the way to go. Seems Nikon is the only manufacturer of a 1.7 converter and most pundits seems to suggest that it the perfect balance between clarity and converting. I've only ever heard good things about it.