F5 Back Release

p51bombay

I just picked up a pristine, mint condition F5 body, box, cards and all that - looks like it was never used. I'm just getting back into photography after 12 years off, owned several F4's, F3, F and many different lenses. This thing isn't quite as intuitive as the F4s but I'll figure that part out in time - what I'm wondering is if there is a problem with the camera back lock release or if I'm doing something wrong.

So according to the instructions you must depress or move the lock lever before lifting the rewind crank, much as the F4 and F3 did - but at this time I can lift the crank without moving the lock and the lock seems to move freely from side to side. So does the lock need to be pushed/pulled to one side, snap into place or does it stay that way until a roll of film is in place?

Eye-level

Banned
Don't know I am F2 and FM2 and earlier and I can't even begin to fathom why in the hell they would put a lock on the camera back release. Just guessing though I would say the lock mechanism is screwed up. How are the seals? From my limited understanding the F5 is one mean full auto film camera.