Creative Triptych Assignment/Challenge Jan 9th- Feb 10th NEW RULES APPLY READ FIRST!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave_W

The Dude
Weekly Challenge DATE Jan 9th to Feb 10th: Creative Triptych

This month's assignment is very different from our previous assignment/challenges and will allow our members to really show off their creativity. Participants will be preparing a triptych and will be judged on their creativity and aesthetic beauty of their work. Each participant can enter 3 individual entries and we will judge the best 5 entries on the 12 elements of merit. This assignment will run from
today until Sunday night, Feb 10th.

A Triptych may be new to many of you, it was to some of the moderators when we were discussing this challenge, but it should be something that we all should be familiar with. A Triptych is a composition of 3 images that can be linked together in a variety of ways. They can be similar images that surround a single theme or they can be 3 images juxtaposed with one another, or they can be 3 disperate images. Basically it can be anything you feel conveys your artistic vision. Triptychs can be prepared using Photoshop or Lightroom or GIMP (GIMP is a free photo editing program that can be downloaded HERE). And if anyone knows of other programs, please add to this thread so that we can include as many Nikonites as possible.

There are many good tutorials on creating Triptychs but my favorite is Julieann Kost. Her tutorial titled "Pairing to Create Diptychs and Triptychs Part 1 and Part 2" give a very good overview on the thought process behind a good triptych. There are also tons of webpages and videos on the mechanics of creating a triptych using Lightroom, Photoshop or GIMP but THIS video tutorial for Lightroom is one of the better. If any of you know of good tutorials, feel free to share with others.

Not only will this assignment get you thinking of new ways to display your work, it will also force you to learn (or re-learn) how to use Lightroom or Photoshop is ways you may not be familiar with. Triptychs bring an entirely new way to express your photographic vision and can make for an excellent way to show off your creativity. Triptychs are like photography to the 3rd power and brings a whole new level to your art. Just let your creativity out and enjoy the results!

Here are a couple of examples that I've prepared to illustrate several ways to set up a triptych.

trippan-bw-sm.jpg

trip-2-sm.jpg

trip-4-sm.jpg

These challenges are designed to help you grow in your photography skills and creativity, and also to have fun. Be sure to visit the Monthly Challenge Rules & Guidelines for more information.

The Rules
  1. Any photo submitted for a weekly challenge must be taken during the dates specified in the challenge thread and taken by you! Because not all EXIFdata can be verified, we will use the honor system.
  2. Photos must be posted to the thread in order to be considered for the challenge.
  3. Challenges will be judged solely by the panel. Individual voting via post "likes" will be incorporated into the final selection of the winning photo.
  4. Only one photo entry per member, for each challenge, unless otherwise indicated.
  5. Judging criteria is based on the Twelve Elements of a Merit Image.
There will be no cash or prizes awarded for the Weekly Challenge, unless specifically noted by the site administrator.

Any photo will be accepted for the challenge. Edited/straight out of the camera, it does not matter. You are left with complete freedom to do whatever genre of photography you wish to do, and your own interpretation of the challenge subject.

Last edited:

nikonpup

Re: Article: Creative Triptych Assignment/Challenge Jan 9th- Feb 10th NEW RULES APPLY

dave, example using picasa's collage feature. Picasa is a free download and collage is very easy to use. Example not for judging.2012-12-27 ELK.jpg

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Well, I'll break the ice so to speak:

Here is my first entry done by the river this afternoon:

the river 2013.jpg

RockyNH_RIP

I think this is a great idea/challenge... I have no clue where to start so will follow Marcels suggestion with Julianne Kost as I have enjoyed and learned from some of her other videos.

Don't know how I will do since this is so new and I cannot pronounce it (heck, cannot spell it either!):D

dave, marcel and team, great challenge idea and I am looking forward to learning something new...

pat in NH

Last edited:

co2jae

"They can be similar images that surround a single theme or they can be 3 images juxtaposed with one another, or they can be 3 desperate images."

Is this correct terminology or a typo? I think I might try this one as ALL my images are desperate....

Cochese

Re: Article: Creative Triptych Assignment/Challenge Jan 9th- Feb 10th NEW RULES APPLY

"They can be similar images that surround a single theme or they can be 3 images juxtaposed with one another, or they can be 3 desperate images."

Is this correct terminology or a typo? I think I might try this one as ALL my images are desperate....

Disparate, I'm sure.

fotojack

FYI - I have just created a blog entry detailing a very easy way to make a triptych using Photoshop (that should work equally well using GIMP). Please let me know if you have any questions.
Dave

Here is a link to my post - Creating a Triptych using Photoshop (or GIMP)

This is what I get after clicking on that link:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function ncode_imageresizer_replace() in /home/nikonite/public_html/blog.php(3664) : eval()'d code on line 12

nikonpup

i have purchased lightroom. I have seen a couple of tutorials by j. Kost many times, things go very fast unless you are familiar with lightroom. I watched other lightroom tutorials (b&h and kelby) many different opinions on how the different operations should be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.