Liking the D800 for time lapse

need2split

I've been using the D800 since June or so. I've used it for some time lapse photography and I'm happy with the results; Here are links to a night sky - Milkway time lapse, and one I made in our Nissan Leaf:

Milkyway night sky Woodland Park Nikon D800 Time Lapse - YouTube

Nissan Leaf Sunday Drive Nikon D800 time lapse - YouTube

THe first video was over 700 photos edited together, the second was completed using the internal time lapse mode. I really like using the internal mode, even for night sky photos, because it is stupid easy. Of course you get full resolution with the intervalometer, so that works if you want to have great photos as well as the HD movie. And future 4K is possible with the same set of shots. Glad to be here, I think I'll stay awhile :)

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I really liked the milky way video. The leaf, well, the mirror disturbed me too much. I wasn't able to watch it to the end. But I was surprised at how much stable it was. How was the camera mounted in the car? VR?

Thanks for posting and welcome to Nikonites.

need2split

Thanks for the comment! Just a tripod strapped in the back seat of the Leaf, camera set to auto exposure as I recall. It was a fun video, but you are right, I needed a little more zoom to remove most of the mirror. This was a "proof of concept" video, I'll try again once we green up outside. No VR, used a lens that doesn't have it.

Last edited:

need2split

Yes, I worry a little about shutter count, but then again, I really enjoy the results. I figure I'll replace the camera long before it dies, just like the D50, and D90, and D7000. I nearly kept the D7000, but because of the flood, I was able to get almost what I paid for the camera new. Thanks all for the warm welcome!

need2split

This was the first of two time lapse sessions on the trip. I don't have access to dark skies at home, so this was also a proof of concept shoot that takes 5 hours! I do wish I relocated the tree to the right side of the frame, in order to get the Milkyway in the video a little earlier, and I also wish I shot about an hour longer. Colorado Springs was to the left of the FOV, so there was some sky glow that I was attempting to avoid. Did you watch the video in 1080p? Naked eye views did not have as many stars as you see in the video, but the sky was impressive compaired to what I have at home, which is located near an exit off the interstate.